S Rao

Default Flooded Salt Tank - Kenmore Water Softener ...

I have a Kenmore Water Softener ... Model Number: 625.348491 ... and
a few days ago I noticed that my Salt Brine Tank was almost full of
water.

I went to the Kenmore animations site for troubleshooting .... .and
came to the following conclusions:

== in the FILL mode ... water trickles into the float assembly thro'
the brine line (as it should)
== but when I go into the BRINE cycle .. water continues to trickle
into the float assembly . If i am not wrong .. water should stop
flowing thro' the brine line into the float assembly
== so i undid my venturi valve .. and noticed the gasket and the flow
plug worn out. so i replaced them. i also replaced the (2) flow plugs
... to be on the safe side.
== but when I put the venturi valve back together .. water continues
to drip into the float assembly even in the BRINE cycle (which is why
it is flooding my salt tank)
== in the BRINE cycle .. i disconnected the Brine line off the bottom
of the venturi assembly. instead of feeling suction at the venturi
assembly fitting .. water is coming out of the venturi assembly
fitting
== what else could be wrong; everything else in the venturi assembly
looks good .. including the screens and the o-ring

would appreciate any pointers help from others ..

eb7380
jaimie

"== what else could be wrong; everything else in the venturi assembly
looks good .. including the screens and the o-ring"

My opinion, try to replace the o-ring if your softener over a year old.
They are cheap. Even if they look good, they might be old due to the
quality. I paid 150 something to Sears just to learned this lesson. Only if
I can located my record to pin point the real problem I had. I remember is
some kind of 1~3 dollars cheap ring turns old and let the water all over the
salt.

Good luck.
Jaimie

"S Rao" wrote in message
om...
[...]

PrecisionMachinisT

"S Rao" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Vacuum that brine out of there pronto and lift out all but 10-20 lbs of the
salt--then re-assess the situation.

You make brine ( water goes into the salt tank ) then you charge the resin
bed by vaccumming it back out of the salt tank and into the resin
cannister........subsequent cycle is to flush excess salt/ debris out of the
resin bed, and will rarely cause problems......

The venturi needs to suck all the brine out of the salt tank--you should be
able to put your thumb over the tube during this second stage and feel
suction..........If not, or if there is liquid escaping under pressure
instead theres a problem with the venturi or the valve assembly, and
recharge of the resin bed is gonna be happening.........

By the time this is all complete, the venturi should be only sucking air,
and the very bottom of the salt tank should be pretty much devoid of any
measureable liquid.

In short, it appears there is most likely still a problem with your brine
intake.

--

SVL

Harlen Ng

You might have to take the main value a part. There are gaskets inside
the main value. My unit has a rotor value and the unit is held together
by 6 long screws. I also had to change the rotor value (round shaped) a
couple of times. I've had my Kenmore for over 10 years.

S Rao wrote:

[...]

David Martel

I agree with Ng that you may have a problem in the rotary valve.
Dismantle it and look for signs of wear on the rotor, and the wear strip.
You probably should replace the big o-ring too.

Dave M.

S Rao

"David Martel" wrote in message hlink.net...
I agree with Ng that you may have a problem in the rotary valve.
Dismantle it and look for signs of wear on the rotor, and the wear strip.
You probably should replace the big o-ring too.

Dave M.

Thank you for all your responses. Very good troubleshooting tips.

I did solve my problem. I had to dismantle the main rotary valve (the
bulky one being held together by the 6 screws). Inside it .. I noticed
that atleast one of the gasket had mis-located. It was not in place. I
slid it back into place .. put the valve back together.

And then .. i started to feel the "suction" at the bottom of the
venturi valve unit. It took a few hours to empty out the water in my
tank .. but now everything looks great.

Thanks

SRao
Harlen Ng

I replace all the rubber gaskets inside the rotary value unit
and the special gasket every 5 years. I order the part from
Sears. I also had to replace the rotary valve once. The unit
is still working.

-Harlen