Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning new tiles

I just put new tiles in three bedrooms and did the grouting and all.
Lots of work but no special difficulty. My real problem is getting
rid of that whitish film which keeps on re-appearing despite several
scrubs (water only). It does look better with each scrub. But is
there some cleanser that will make the job easier. I read that TSP
could be used but it could stain the tiles if one is not careful with
quick rinsing. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 10:11*pm, wrote:
I just put new tiles in three bedrooms and did the grouting and all.
Lots of work but no special difficulty. *My real problem is getting
rid of that whitish film which keeps on re-appearing despite several
scrubs (water only). *It does look better with each scrub. *But is
there some cleanser that will make the job easier. *I read that TSP
could be used but it could stain the tiles if one is not careful with
quick rinsing. *Thanks.

Have you tried Scotchbrite (http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/
scotchbrite/products/scrubber.html)

This stuff is not too aggressive so it shouldn't damage your tile.

Lewis.

*****
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 8:14*am, Norminn wrote:

If you have unglazed tile, it is probably permanent or a job for an
expert.

I don't know how one might become an expert at removing set grout haze
from unglazed tile, I think the first job would kill you.

This is a part of setting tile with which I have no experience.

I'd have to guess if anybody knows how to do it it would be a brick
mason or tuck pointer, and one might not want to be too picky about
what happens to the tile.

If, as a journeyman in training you let this happen, your body could
probably be found deeply buried somewhere around the job site.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

gpsman wrote:

On Dec 15, 8:14 am, Norminn wrote:

If you have unglazed tile, it is probably permanent or a job for an
expert.

I don't know how one might become an expert at removing set grout haze
from unglazed tile, I think the first job would kill you.

This is a part of setting tile with which I have no experience.

I'd have to guess if anybody knows how to do it it would be a brick
mason or tuck pointer, and one might not want to be too picky about
what happens to the tile.

Not too picky? The whole point of the effort is to make it look good.
The issue is a common
one on ahr and one reason I am very glad we did not do our tile
installation ourselves. We had
a number of issues that were very skillfully handled by our contractor.
Our tile installers, two
young guys, moonlighted for Home Depot ) We could not have asked for
better quality work.

If, as a journeyman in training you let this happen, your body could
probably be found deeply buried somewhere around the job site.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 9:36*am, Norminn wrote:
gpsman wrote:

I'd have to guess if anybody knows how to do it it would be a brick
mason or tuck pointer, and one might not want to be too picky about
what happens to the tile.

Not too picky? *The whole point of the effort is to make it look good. *
The issue is a common
one on ahr

Your links to the best ahr resolutions seem to be missing...

Blow smoke up your own ass.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote in message
On Dec 14, 10:11 pm, wrote:
I just put new tiles in three bedrooms and did the grouting and all.
Lots of work but no special difficulty. My real problem is getting
rid of that whitish film which keeps on re-appearing despite several
scrubs (water only). It does look better with each scrub. But is
there some cleanser that will make the job easier. I read that TSP
could be used but it could stain the tiles if one is not careful with
quick rinsing. Thanks.

Have you tried Scotchbrite (http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/
scotchbrite/products/scrubber.html)

This stuff is not too aggressive so it shouldn't damage your tile.

I have had good success with 3m White scrubbing pads. The white ones have
virtually no abrasiveness but clean the surface without any scratching. You
could also try those white foam pads they advertise on TV, I cannot remember
their name, but they seem to be very good in certain applications.

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

wrote in message
On Dec 14, 10:11 pm, wrote:

[...]

Good idea......the green ones are too aggressive, as they can scratch
glass (glaze on tile) and stainless steel. I have seen
recommendations to use blue pads on floors, but the choice should be
tested on a spot that isn't obvious. I would
try dilute vinegar/water and proceed to stronger if it doesn't remove
the haze and does not harm the tile.
Take care to rinse thoroughly with clean water and try not to saturate
the grout joints.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 11:46*am, Norminn wrote:
EXT wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*------------

I have had good success with 3m White scrubbing pads. The white ones
have virtually no abrasiveness but clean the surface without any
scratching. You could also try those white foam pads they advertise on
TV, I cannot remember their name, but they seem to be very good in
certain applications.

Good idea......the green ones are too aggressive, as they can scratch
glass (glaze on tile) and stainless steel. *I have seen
recommendations to use blue pads on floors, but the choice should be
tested on a spot that isn't obvious. *I would
try dilute vinegar/water and proceed to stronger if it doesn't remove
the haze and does not harm the tile.
Take care to rinse thoroughly with clean water and try not to saturate
the grout joints.- Hide quoted text -

Many thanks to all. My situation is not as dire as perceived by
some. I did clean the grout while wet with a soggy sponge and that
worked well. I was just left with this WHITISH haze and I assumed
that in this day and age there must be an efficient way to clean tiles
with some chemicals. Rest assured that my tiles now look fine after
several moppings with pure water (and, BTW, no scraping was ever
necessary). I will experiment with diluted vinegar in a hidden spot
to see if that makes a difference. Thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 15, 2:53*pm, wrote:

snip

*I will experiment with diluted vinegar in a hidden spot
to see if that makes a difference. *

Oxalic acid is somewhat stronger than acetic (vinegar) A component of
Bartender's Friend and radiator flushes. Might be interesting to see
if it might work. Being an organic acid, tile damage should not occur.

Joe

cleaning roof tiles gerry UK diy 6 January 12th 08 09:34 AM
Tips for cleaning tiles? [email protected] UK diy 2 July 9th 06 10:43 PM
Cleaning carpet tiles? T i m UK diy 5 March 6th 06 12:11 PM
Cleaning tiles? ? ? Ray Home Repair 2 February 11th 06 10:01 PM
Cleaning Ceramic Tiles? Rex Home Ownership 1 April 23rd 05 03:25 PM