Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hat@uark.edu is offline

Default Cleaning new tiles

On Dec 15, 11:46*am, Norminn wrote:
EXT wrote:

wrote in message
On Dec 14, 10:11 pm, wrote:

I just put new tiles in three bedrooms and did the grouting and all.
Lots of work but no special difficulty. My real problem is getting
rid of that whitish film which keeps on re-appearing despite several
scrubs (water only). It does look better with each scrub. But is
there some cleanser that will make the job easier. I read that TSP
could be used but it could stain the tiles if one is not careful with
quick rinsing. Thanks.

Have you tried Scotchbrite *(http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/
scotchbrite/products/scrubber.html)

This stuff is not too aggressive so it shouldn't damage your tile.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*------------

I have had good success with 3m White scrubbing pads. The white ones
have virtually no abrasiveness but clean the surface without any
scratching. You could also try those white foam pads they advertise on
TV, I cannot remember their name, but they seem to be very good in
certain applications.

Good idea......the green ones are too aggressive, as they can scratch
glass (glaze on tile) and stainless steel. *I have seen
recommendations to use blue pads on floors, but the choice should be
tested on a spot that isn't obvious. *I would
try dilute vinegar/water and proceed to stronger if it doesn't remove
the haze and does not harm the tile.
Take care to rinse thoroughly with clean water and try not to saturate
the grout joints.- Hide quoted text -

Many thanks to all. My situation is not as dire as perceived by
some. I did clean the grout while wet with a soggy sponge and that
worked well. I was just left with this WHITISH haze and I assumed
that in this day and age there must be an efficient way to clean tiles
with some chemicals. Rest assured that my tiles now look fine after
several moppings with pure water (and, BTW, no scraping was ever
necessary). I will experiment with diluted vinegar in a hidden spot
to see if that makes a difference. Thanks again.