Posted to alt.home.repair
HB HB is offline

Default Air compressor

-------------------------------------

I am putting in a new Rockworth air compressor. I have ran a 10/3
underground wire for power(30'). The motor is 5 HP running. I need a cord
to plug the motor in with. Should I use a 10 ga.or will 12 work for this.
I know where I was working at we ran 12 ga. wire (200')to a 1 hp motor
with 12 ga. plug 220 volts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HB wrote:

-------------------------------------

I am putting in a new Rockworth air compressor. I have ran a 10/3
underground wire for power(30'). The motor is 5 HP running. I need a cord
to plug the motor in with. Should I use a 10 ga.or will 12 work for this.
I know where I was working at we ran 12 ga. wire (200')to a 1 hp motor
with 12 ga. plug 220 volts.

220 volts, right? Then twelve will be fine. (assumes reasonable length
cord.) It's not easy finding a 20A plug that will accept #10 cord.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 14, 2:09*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
HB wrote:

-------------------------------------

I am putting in a new Rockworth air compressor. I have ran a 10/3
underground wire for power(30'). The motor is 5 HP running. I need a cord
to plug the motor in with. Should I use a 10 ga.or will 12 work for this.
I know where I was working at we ran 12 ga. wire (200')to a 1 hp motor
with 12 ga. plug 220 volts.

220 volts, right? *Then twelve will be fine. (assumes reasonable length
cord.) *It's not easy finding a 20A plug that will accept #10 cord.

Bob

If you get a NEMA 6-30R receptacle and 6-30P plug you won't have to
fight with it. If using stranded wire consider getting some crimp
fittings to make it easier. Easy to find at any place the pros hang
out.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 2:03*pm, (HB) wrote:
-------------------------------------

I am putting in a new Rockworth air compressor. I have ran a 10/3
underground wire for power(30'). The motor is 5 HP running. I need a cord
to plug the motor in with. Should I use a 10 ga.or will 12 work for this.
I know where I was working at we ran 12 ga. wire (200')to a 1 hp motor
with 12 ga. plug 220 volts.

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Rockworth, is that a chinese company trying to mimic the famed
Rockwell co.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HB HB is offline

Hb had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...or-348213-.htm
:
It is from the UK as best i can tell. They have a website. There is a
distributer in Rock Hill.SC. As far as the cord I am only going 4' to the
plud that is coming from the breaker with the 10/3 solid wire. It does not
have the cord to plug into the wall. so12/3 should be fine. Te weird part
is they do not have this one listed on their website. RW7580V2 80 gallon

-------------------------------------
ransley wrote:

-------------------------------------

Delivered via =A0http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Rockworth, is that a chinese company trying to mimic the famed
Rockwell co.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HB HB is offline

Hb had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...or-348167-.htm
:

I just looked at the motor again and it says it draws 22 amps. Will this
be a problem with the 12 guage wire from the motor to the receptacle which
is a 250 volt plug -|. With 10/3 into it.
-------------------------------------
zxcvbob wrote:

HB wrote:

-------------------------------------

I am putting in a new Rockworth air compressor. I have ran a 10/3
underground wire for power(30'). The motor is 5 HP running. I need
a cord
to plug the motor in with. Should I use a 10 ga.or will 12 work
for this.
I know where I was working at we ran 12 ga. wire (200')to a 1 hp
motor
with 12 ga. plug 220 volts.

220 volts, right? Then twelve will be fine. (assumes reasonable length

cord.) It's not easy finding a 20A plug that will accept #10 cord.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:

HB wrote:
-------------------------------------

I am putting in a new Rockworth air compressor. I have ran a 10/3
underground wire for power(30'). The motor is 5 HP running. I need
a cord
to plug the motor in with. Should I use a 10 ga.or will 12 work
for this.
I know where I was working at we ran 12 ga. wire (200')to a 1 hp
motor
with 12 ga. plug 220 volts.

According to table 400-5(A), the ampacity of all common types of flexible cords and cable
is 25A for 12 gauge with 2 current-carrying conductors (and the ampacity of the uncommon
types, like HPN, is 30A)

I might be tempted to use a dryer cord and a 10-30R outlet for this application.

What size breaker are you going to use, (20 or 30A) or are you going to use 25A fuses?
That really determines the proper plug configuration.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
HB HB is offline

Hb had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...or-348349-.htm
:
30 amp Thanks for all the help. I think i got it.

zxcvbob wrote:

Air compressor stryped Metalworking 21 May 15th 08 07:21 PM
OT - air compressor stone Metalworking 4 October 19th 05 09:03 AM
Compressor needs 15A Jim UK diy 5 April 27th 05 05:32 PM
Air Compressor [email protected] Woodturning 19 January 13th 05 02:13 PM
Air Compressor Oil Jim Frogge Metalworking 10 September 7th 04 03:04 AM