Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Any experience with Quartz portable geaters

This year, I have been getting a number of junk mail ads for these
quartz heaters, making all kinds of claims (obviously).

They seem pretty expensive at $300 ti $500.

Anyone have any experience with them, or ideas about them?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 4:33*pm, "Bob" wrote:
This year, I have been getting a number of junk mail ads for these
quartz heaters, making all kinds of claims (obviously).

They seem pretty expensive at $300 ti $500.

Anyone have any experience with them, or ideas about them?

Thanks, Bob-tx

There isn't any free lunch from a "miracle" heater. All electrical
heaters are 100% efficient, in the sense that 100% of the power that
goes into them comes out as heat. Depending on the type of heater,
the proportion of that heat that is radiant, conducted, or convected
varies.

The big energy savings claimed by these "miracle" heaters really boils
down to turning your thermostat for the house way down and then using
some type of electrical heater to warm the space you are sitting in.
Electric heat is virtually always going to be significantly more
expensive than other sources, ie gas, oil, heat pump, etc. But if
you only heat one room or better yet the area you are sitting at
constantly and keep the rest of the house significantly cooler, it can
save you money.

And the type of heaters that produce mostly radiant heat, which quartz
is an example of, will do a good job of warming you as long as you
stay in one place directly in front of it. In fact, that kind of
radiant heater doesn't even warm the entire room, just what's directly
in front of it. So, if it works for you, get one. But don't fall
for one of the $300 miracle widgets. I recently got a nice 1500W
radiant heater at Costco for $60.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy comments:

I agree with 100% with the other poster, and you can pick up
a portable heater at a garage sale for $2 that will have exactly
the same efficiency -- 100%

But that being said, I personally prefer the oil filled radiator
types. They do not get hot enough to ignite anything, cost
about $40, and have a nicer look than some space age
gadget.

The types that use a fan blowing air over a hot coil can be
very dangerous if a shirt falls on them, or the fan stops for
some reason.... They will last a few years, then something
will go bad, usually the fan, and unless you want to take them
apart and oil the bearings to make it last a few more seasons,
they get thrown out. I have retrieved many, and fixed them,
but if I were going to buy one, I'd go with the oil filled radiator
type...

That type relies on low heat over a large large surface area
instead of very high heat over a small surface area. The effect
is the same --- to deliver 1500 watts into a room..... But it's like
comparing a 100 watt laser pinpoint at 10,000 degrees to an
electric blanket (also about 100 watts)..... A lower heat over
a wider area is much safer....

Andy in Eureka, Texas retired engineer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 3:33*pm, "Bob" wrote:
This year, I have been getting a number of junk mail ads for these
quartz heaters, making all kinds of claims (obviously).

They seem pretty expensive at $300 ti $500.

Anyone have any experience with them, or ideas about them?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Quartz is radiant heat that heats objects not air, you can get them
for 35$, radiant is what is above you in HD at the checkout they are
good for directing heat at you.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
This year, I have been getting a number of junk mail ads for these
quartz heaters, making all kinds of claims (obviously).

They seem pretty expensive at $300 ti $500.

Anyone have any experience with them, or ideas about them?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Thanks for the comments - sure going to pass on them.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

When the ceramic ones came out, they were supposed to be safer, and more
energy efficient. Electric heat is expensive, any way I slice it. The last
ceramic heater I bought was when a friend ran out of propane, and froze
pipes. It was about $20.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I recently got a nice 1500W
radiant heater at Costco for $60.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wish somehow I could tell the world that any electric 115V consumer
electric space heather, whether $15 or $500, can only produce a
maximum of 5200 BTU. Outlandish claims for the Evenpure and others are
totally fraudulant!!!
Frank

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 03:59:50 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
This year, I have been getting a number of junk mail ads for these
quartz heaters, making all kinds of claims (obviously).

They seem pretty expensive at $300 ti $500.

Anyone have any experience with them, or ideas about them?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Thanks for the comments - sure going to pass on them.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
This year, I have been getting a number of junk mail ads for these
quartz heaters, making all kinds of claims (obviously).

They seem pretty expensive at $300 ti $500.

Anyone have any experience with them, or ideas about them?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Thanks for the comments - sure going to pass on them.
Bob-tx- Hide quoted text -

It appears that 'science' education is woefully inadequate in many
North American school systems!
It doesn't matter if one is using degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius
(Centigrade), or volts and amps and the equivalents in BTUs (British
thermal units) or kilo-joules or calories etc. there should be some
'basic' understanding about heat flow, conversion of energy,
combustion efficiency, change of state (e.g. water into steam or ice
into water etc.).

With an uniformed public it's just too easy for some advertiser to
claim that their electric heater is 'More efficient'. More effective
maybe, just like the 2 litre hot water bottle I'll be using shortly to
warm my feet in directing the heat where it wanted and maybe felt; but
NOT more efficient.

An anecdote; shortly after WWII an uncle produced chick hovers
(pronounced "hoe-vers") using parabolic covers identical to microwave
dishes. The principal was that with a heat source placed at the focal
point of the parabola, heat was evenly distributed over the whole area
beneath the hover.

Consequently all chicks were kept warm after hatching, were not
crowded into the centre of or up against heaters placed on the floor
and their survival rate was much higher. The heaters were not
electrically more 'efficient but they were more 'effective'.

Maybe like a 'Sun lamp' over a bathtub, warm, as long as it shines on
your skin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote in message
I wish somehow I could tell the world that any electric 115V consumer
electric space heather, whether $15 or $500, can only produce a
maximum of 5200 BTU. Outlandish claims for the Evenpure and others are
totally fraudulant!!!
Frank

Would that be true even if the cord is oxygen free copper like they use in
Monster Cable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"frank1492" wrote in message
I wish somehow I could tell the world that any electric 115V consumer
electric space heather, whether $15 or $500, can only produce a
maximum of 5200 BTU. Outlandish claims for the Evenpure and others
are totally fraudulant!!!
Frank

Would that be true even if the cord is oxygen free copper like they
use in Monster Cable?

For those not in the know, Monster Cable makes obscenely expensive component
cables and they don't sell very many.

That's okay, because they make their money by suing others for trademark
infringement (over 400 to date). Their latest public foray is against
"Monster Mini Golf," as if anyone would confuse a glow-in-the-dark miniature
golf course with a hunk of wire.

For a hoot, read the letter sent by the president of Tartan Cable to Monster
when the latter tried to extort money under the threat of a lawsuit. It
reminds me of a line in a movie no one has seen yet ("Taken" starring Liam
Neeson):

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking
for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very
particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career.
Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter
go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue
you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill
you."

I particularly liked the part where Neeson's charcter drove railroad spikes
into a tied-up terrorist's thighs and, with jumper cables, hooked him up to
the mains. "I need you to focus..."

Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:

I wish somehow I could tell the world that any electric 115V consumer
electric space heather, whether $15 or $500, can only produce a
maximum of 5200 BTU. Outlandish claims for the Evenpure and others are
totally fraudulant!!!

It's a bit like these miracle weight loss devices/pills: They always add in
small font "along with a healthy diet and exercise", which of course is where
the weight loss comes from.

Most of the major companies marketing these heaters are careful to say that the
energy savings comes from switching from whole house heating to spot heating,
while implying that there is something special about their spot heater.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote in message
I wish somehow I could tell the world that any electric 115V consumer
electric space heather, whether $15 or $500, can only produce a
maximum of 5200 BTU. Outlandish claims for the Evenpure and others are
totally fraudulant!!!
Frank

Original OP comments snipped ........

My 84 year old MIL got a brochure from Eden Pure the other day in the mail.
We pick up her mail at the PO. My wife said, "Oh, look at these. They look
wonderful. Maybe we should get one for Mom." She then looked on and found
the price and asked if they were worth it. I told her that they didn't heat
as well as the concave one we got at Costco for $25. She asked how the
company could claim they worked 10 or 30 or 50 x better than standard
heaters, whatever that brochure claimed. I told her they didn't, and that
they were being sued by a lot of people.

Paul Harvey has been a favorite commentator of mine for decades. But when
he went to endorsing the Eden Pure, he was just another Bob May pitchman
shrieking his line and collecting his checks.

To me, it works from the bottom up. I hear people repeatedly say, "this or
that is the best kind of XXXXX product you can buy." I don't listen to the
manufacturers of sellers making the same claims.

Save your bucks and just go get one of the $25 or maybe $30 now concave
reflector heaters. You CAN really feel them across the room, and I like
them. Eden Pure is an overpriced heater you put out to impress company and
in-laws.

STeve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Neville" wrote in message
frank1492 wrote:

I wish somehow I could tell the world that any electric 115V consumer
electric space heather, whether $15 or $500, can only produce a
maximum of 5200 BTU. Outlandish claims for the Evenpure and others are
totally fraudulant!!!

It's a bit like these miracle weight loss devices/pills: They always add
in
small font "along with a healthy diet and exercise", which of course is
where
the weight loss comes from.

Most of the major companies marketing these heaters are careful to say
that the
energy savings comes from switching from whole house heating to spot
heating,
while implying that there is something special about their spot heater.

Of course, don't forget the phrase in tiny tiny print, or uttered inaudibly,

"RESULTS MAY VARY."

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"frank1492" wrote in message
I wish somehow I could tell the world that any electric 115V consumer
electric space heather, whether $15 or $500, can only produce a
maximum of 5200 BTU. Outlandish claims for the Evenpure and others are
totally fraudulant!!!
Frank

Would that be true even if the cord is oxygen free copper like they use in
Monster Cable?

LOL I need to clean off my monitor now, thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote:
frank1492 wrote:

I wish somehow I could tell the world that any electric 115V consumer
electric space heather, whether $15 or $500, can only produce a
maximum of 5200 BTU. Outlandish claims for the Evenpure and others are
totally fraudulant!!!

It's a bit like these miracle weight loss devices/pills: They always add in
small font "along with a healthy diet and exercise", which of course is where
the weight loss comes from.

Most of the major companies marketing these heaters are careful to say that the
energy savings comes from switching from whole house heating to spot heating,
while implying that there is something special about their spot heater.

There is certainly a lot of BS in the marketing, however some portable
heaters really do work much better than others. For a while I heated a
downstairs room with a space heater and it shot the bill through the
roof. I later installed an electric baseboard and it was significantly
cheaper to keep the room comfortable. The baseboard is much longer and
keeps the air gently circulating, the space heater would make one corner
very hot and had to be run a lot more for the rest to be comfortable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i lost some respect for paul harvey selling them on the radio.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In the past there have been posts here and in HVAC about the "HeatSurge"
-- a "fireplace" with flameless fire or fireless flame or similar BS,
with a "real Amish made mantle" that instantly blasts out 5000 btu of
heat for something like $295. The recent poster in HVAC saw the ad in
his local paper, but now they are advertising on TV-- the ones I have
seen were on A&E between 7 and 8 am. It is a wooden box that looks a lot
like an old 25" console tv on rollers with a sheet metal insert with
some fake logs and a little electric heater. In all fairness, I have
seen a similar thing made by CharmGlo at HD for $100 more, but they
don't make any outlandish claims about it-- just that it is an
"ornamental fireplace" that puts out a little heat. I remember seeing
cardboard ones with a little color wheel to simulate flames that people
used to put out for the Holidays. Those $300-400 ones don't look much
less fake. BTW, I have a couple of the oil filled electric
radiators-- they are great IMO. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
I particularly liked the part where Neeson's charcter drove railroad
spikes into a tied-up terrorist's thighs and, with jumper cables, hooked
him up to the mains. "I need you to focus..."

Sounds like my kind of guy!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
[...]

Hi,
100% efficiency? How ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"SteveB" toquervilla@zionvistas wrote:

Eden Pure is an overpriced heater you put out to impress company and
in-laws.

Impress them with what? Your ignorance and gullibility?