Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Any experience with Quartz portable geaters

On Dec 10, 2:21*am, frank1492 wrote:
I wish somehow I could tell the world that any electric 115V consumer
electric space heather, whether $15 or $500, can only produce a
maximum of 5200 BTU. Outlandish claims for the Evenpure and others are
totally fraudulant!!!
* * * Frank

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 03:59:50 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
This year, I have been getting a number of junk mail ads for these
quartz heaters, making all kinds of claims (obviously).

They seem pretty expensive at $300 ti $500.

Anyone have any experience with them, or ideas about them?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Thanks for the comments - sure going to pass on them.
Bob-tx- Hide quoted text -

It appears that 'science' education is woefully inadequate in many
North American school systems!
It doesn't matter if one is using degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius
(Centigrade), or volts and amps and the equivalents in BTUs (British
thermal units) or kilo-joules or calories etc. there should be some
'basic' understanding about heat flow, conversion of energy,
combustion efficiency, change of state (e.g. water into steam or ice
into water etc.).

With an uniformed public it's just too easy for some advertiser to
claim that their electric heater is 'More efficient'. More effective
maybe, just like the 2 litre hot water bottle I'll be using shortly to
warm my feet in directing the heat where it wanted and maybe felt; but
NOT more efficient.

An anecdote; shortly after WWII an uncle produced chick hovers
(pronounced "hoe-vers") using parabolic covers identical to microwave
dishes. The principal was that with a heat source placed at the focal
point of the parabola, heat was evenly distributed over the whole area
beneath the hover.

Consequently all chicks were kept warm after hatching, were not
crowded into the centre of or up against heaters placed on the floor
and their survival rate was much higher. The heaters were not
electrically more 'efficient but they were more 'effective'.

Maybe like a 'Sun lamp' over a bathtub, warm, as long as it shines on
your skin.