Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacing glass in a single hung window

Hi all. I've been trying to find some instructions online about how
to remove a frame from a single hung window and replace the glass in
it, but there is pretty much just one set out there and it's not very
helpful.

We had a storm this summer and hail broke the outside pane of the
window. The window is, I believe, single hung: there are 2 panes on
top, one inside and one out, but neither move. The bottom is one
sliding glass pane inside, a screen on the outside. It's basically a
glorified screen window.

We've replaced glass in old houses before without difficulty.
However, we've never dealt with single hung windows and we don't want
to accidentally break any mechanisms or whatever is inside these
things. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Stacia

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stacia" wrote in message
Hi all. I've been trying to find some instructions online about how
to remove a frame from a single hung window and replace the glass in
it, but there is pretty much just one set out there and it's not very
helpful.

We had a storm this summer and hail broke the outside pane of the
window. The window is, I believe, single hung: there are 2 panes on
top, one inside and one out, but neither move. The bottom is one
sliding glass pane inside, a screen on the outside. It's basically a
glorified screen window.

We've replaced glass in old houses before without difficulty.
However, we've never dealt with single hung windows and we don't want
to accidentally break any mechanisms or whatever is inside these
things. Any thoughts? Thanks!

We assume window and frame are both made of wood. If so,
this is probably a sash window i.e. slides vertically in a track, its
weight counterbalanced by heavy cylindrical weights. A sash
cord runs from each top corner of the window over a pulley to
the sash weight, which can move up and down a hollow com-
partment in the window frame. If you do not see this pulley
(a grooved wheel 2 to 3 inches in diameter) in each top corner
of the window frame, it is probably not an openable sash
window.

Repair of the pulley system can be laborious (e.g. removing
layers of old paint) but is simple, see
http://www.hgtv.com/rm-door-window-r...air/index.html
Replacement of the glass is also simple, also documented on the WWW.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 15:33:56 -0800 (PST), Stacia
wrote:

Hi all. I've been trying to find some instructions online about how
to remove a frame from a single hung window and replace the glass in
it, but there is pretty much just one set out there and it's not very
helpful.

We had a storm this summer and hail broke the outside pane of the
window. The window is, I believe, single hung: there are 2 panes on
top, one inside and one out, but neither move. The bottom is one
sliding glass pane inside, a screen on the outside. It's basically a
glorified screen window.

We've replaced glass in old houses before without difficulty.
However, we've never dealt with single hung windows and we don't want
to accidentally break any mechanisms or whatever is inside these
things. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Stacia

I am not sure what you are working with, but my guess is you are
looking at thermo pane glass. Two panes of glass with an insulationg
sealed air space in between. It is one unit and you don't replace one
pane, you replace them as a unit.

A local glass shop should be able to supply you with a
replacement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Nah, sounds like a typical builder-grade window with a single-track
storm window on the outside. I'll bet the top inner window USED to slide
down, but with the cheapo fixed storm window in front of it, nobody has
bothered for the last 2 or 3 repaints, and it is just stuck in place.
I'm assuming a wood-frame window on the inside part, of course. There
were all sorts of weird metal-frame windows installed back before people
realized how much cold they brought into the room.

Can't see the window from here, but I bet all he needs is a new storm
window. There was probably a second glass pane to close off the screened
part, at one point. I had a window here that had similar issues. Took me
an hour to get the painted-shut part unstuck.

OP, can you post a picture somewhere, and put a link back here? One
picture is worth several thousand words, in this case.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

there are single moving sash windows, budget type save moving parts
for top half.

there are companies that just repair windows on site, the big hassle
is getting the sash apart

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 9:29 pm, aemeijers wrote:

Nah, sounds like a typical builder-grade window with a single-track
storm window on the outside. I'll bet the top inner window USED to slide
down, but with the cheapo fixed storm window in front of it, nobody has
bothered for the last 2 or 3 repaints, and it is just stuck in place.
I'm assuming a wood-frame window on the inside part, of course. There
were all sorts of weird metal-frame windows installed back before people
realized how much cold they brought into the room.

It's sadly a metal frame window. It is a cheap unit, and they
aren't made any more. Probably because they suck. We're running into
big costs replacing a missing screen on the front window so we wanted
to replace the glass in this side window ourselves. It's all one
unit, not a regular window plus separate storm window. The window
does have 2 top panes, one inside and one out, but they don't move and
were not intended to move at any time.

Stacia

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stacia wrote:
[...]

I'm still suspecting some missing parts- it would be Very Weird to have
double panes with an airspace in part of the window, and only a pane+
screen on the other part. If nothing else, maybe there was a pane to
replace the screen with in winter. Have you checked the attic and
crawlspace, and anyplace else previous owner may have stashed them? Is
there any space in the window where another sliding panel could fit?
Some pictures from inside and outside would help a bunch. There has to
be some way to field-replace the pane- the part that actually holds the
glass pretty much has to be separate from the part that screws to the
wall, so it has some adjustability during installation.

A house we briefly lived in when I was a kid had aluminum horizontal
sliders with double panes, 2 layers of sliders plus a screen, with the
screen holding one of the outer panes from sliding when it was in place.
The windows sealed okay when they were new, but didn't have any thermal
breaks, and the inner frames got cold as hell in winter, with the usual
condensation problems. I haven't seen the house in several years, but
whoever owns it now is gonna have a fun time finding replacement
windows, which I am sure it needs by now. They were all huge, and
oddball sizes, so I'm sure replacements will have to be custom made.

--
aem sends...