Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacing glass on an Anderson window

Is it possible to replace the glass on a wood Anderson window
(with e-glass) without having to replace the entire sash? I found a
local glass guy that says he can, but he only uses regular glass.

Some kid put a rock through the outer pane... grrr.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Slumlord wrote:
Is it possible to replace the glass on a wood Anderson window
(with e-glass) without having to replace the entire sash? I found a
local glass guy that says he can, but he only uses regular glass.

Some kid put a rock through the outer pane... grrr.....

Depending on the size, a sash is around $130ish... might be worth it
just to buy it and not mess with it.

Personally I don't know how he'd do it, it's a double pane window and is
supposed to have a vacuum between the panes.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Slumlord wrote:
Is it possible to replace the glass on a wood Anderson window
(with e-glass) without having to replace the entire sash? I found a local
glass guy that says he can, but he only uses regular glass.

Some kid put a rock through the outer pane... grrr.....

Depending on the size, a sash is around $130ish... might be worth it just
to buy it and not mess with it.

Personally I don't know how he'd do it, it's a double pane window and is
supposed to have a vacuum between the panes.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

As far as I've known those windows have glass "units" that change out as a
unit. Not knowing what size it is hard to say what the cost might be. I'd
call a different glass shop, they usually come out and measure and give you
a price, and a replacement unit should be a no brainer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Slumlord wrote:
Is it possible to replace the glass on a wood Anderson window
(with e-glass) without having to replace the entire sash? I found a
local glass guy that says he can, but he only uses regular glass.

Call a few other local glass companies. A good one will be
able to do the job or tell why they can't (or advise against
it). It's worth investing a little time finding someone
you can trust. You never know when you might need their
services again. Chances are that when you do, the "event"
will not have a lot of advance notice.

I have such a firm on my phone list and if ever I have to
deal with a broken window, mirror, auto windshield etc.
I know exactly who to call.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

As I understand it the glass company can do a double pane window but they
don't fill the gap with argon. They cut two pieces of glass and seal them
with a desiccant filled spacer. Not quite as good as a factory job but
these can last for years until moisture seeps in and they start to fog
inside.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

.. .

Art wrote:
I would first call Anderson and see what they suggest and cost.

.. .