Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson[_3_] Don Phillipson[_3_] is offline

Default replacing glass in a single hung window

"Stacia" wrote in message
Hi all. I've been trying to find some instructions online about how
to remove a frame from a single hung window and replace the glass in
it, but there is pretty much just one set out there and it's not very
helpful.

We had a storm this summer and hail broke the outside pane of the
window. The window is, I believe, single hung: there are 2 panes on
top, one inside and one out, but neither move. The bottom is one
sliding glass pane inside, a screen on the outside. It's basically a
glorified screen window.

We've replaced glass in old houses before without difficulty.
However, we've never dealt with single hung windows and we don't want
to accidentally break any mechanisms or whatever is inside these
things. Any thoughts? Thanks!

We assume window and frame are both made of wood. If so,
this is probably a sash window i.e. slides vertically in a track, its
weight counterbalanced by heavy cylindrical weights. A sash
cord runs from each top corner of the window over a pulley to
the sash weight, which can move up and down a hollow com-
partment in the window frame. If you do not see this pulley
(a grooved wheel 2 to 3 inches in diameter) in each top corner
of the window frame, it is probably not an openable sash
window.

Repair of the pulley system can be laborious (e.g. removing
layers of old paint) but is simple, see
http://www.hgtv.com/rm-door-window-r...air/index.html
Replacement of the glass is also simple, also documented on the WWW.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs