Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cover for whole house fan?

I'm looking for a magnetic cover to block the shutters on the whole
house fan (from the downstairs side). Years ago, when I got my first
whole house fan, back in the days of the Sears and MW catalogs(!) they
were available through those sources. I think I remember them as being
plastic, with little magnets that attached to the fan frame. I never
bothered, because in that house, there was an actual stair way to the
attic, so I'd just go up and throw a quilt over it.

In the new house, there is also a whole house fan. Unfortunately, the
only way to the attic is through a little hatch with no fold down steps,
even. And I am *past* the point of feeling agile enough to climb my step
ladder and get into the attic myself. Let alone get back down! So I'd
like to find a magnetic cover I could use from below. I have found a few
that use velcro, but I don't want to have to leave the velcro visible
year round. (Plus I have hairy dogs, and that always does in any sort of
velcro closures!).

Any sources? The fan is maybe about 30x30? I haven't measured. OR does
anyone know where I could buy a similar sized piece of that magnetic
vinyl (sign) material? Maybe I could make my own. The ones I've seen
online all seem to be about 24".
Posted to alt.home.repair

I cut to fit a piece of 1" white styrofoam and then glued to it self
adhesive magnetic strips.

I had to use a better glue than the self adhesive.

I cut it on the TS and beveled the edge to make it look a bit more
appealing.

With a white ceiling - it's clearly noticeable, but unless you point it out,
most folks won't realize it's there.

"Lee B" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee B wrote:

I'm looking for a magnetic cover to block the shutters on the whole
house fan (from the downstairs side).

snip

I cover mine with one of those clear vinyl kits they sell for sealing
windows in the winter. Double-sided tape around the edge, attach the
vinyl, a little heat from a hair dryer pulls it tight and smooth

The styrofoam and magnet idea is interesting except my frame is aluminum
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 5, 9:30*pm, Lee B wrote:

Any sources? The fan is maybe about 30x30? I haven't measured. OR does
anyone know where I could buy a similar sized piece of that magnetic
vinyl (sign) material? Maybe I could make my own. The ones I've seen
online all seem to be about 24".

That was gonna be my suggestion. Maybe there is a sign shop where you
live?

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 12/5/2008 9:30 PM Lee B said the following:

[...]

My WHF is covered with an old blanket in the attic. Be sure to turn off
the fan's electric with the on-off switch that is usually mounted on the
fan casing in case anyone accidentally turning on the wall switch won't
start the fan.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 21:30:29 -0500, Lee B
wrote:

[...]

Should not be too difficult to make a cover, and hold it with mirror
clips or screws. I know this is different, but I made an attic
staircase cover by cutting up a cardboard appliance box and some nylon
handles. I fixed a stryrofoam sheet to the top for additional
insulation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee B wrote:

[...]

I did a more complex cover for mine. I built a tray with 1" of
styrofoam insulation and built a slide for it. The tray has a
handle in the middle of it to slide it back and forth. Now I just
reach up with a pole of some sort and push it back and forth when
I want to open and close it.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 9:30*pm, Lee B wrote:
[...]

visit www.batticdoor.com for a shutter seal to cover and seal whole
hose fans.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to BillGill, Mary Hendrix wrote:
That is what I'm looking for for my own as it is installed over the down
stairway. No access to the Attic. I definitely want a slide. Could you send a
picture of yours?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...an-346412-.htm