Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior Door Weather Stripping

We have two pre-hung exterior entry doors that have “bulb” type weather
stripping that is held in place by an attached spline inserted into a slot
in the door frame. We’re not getting a good seal, although the door has
been adjusted for maximum closure.

I don’t want to have to undergo any structural modifications, and am
considering installing an exterior weather strip like the one shown on this
link.

Any opinions, pro or con, or other suggestions?

TIA

http://www.amconservationgroup.com/s...sp?idCategory=
195

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 12(XII)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
3wks 2dys 3hrs 21mins
Bumper sticker: 'All the parts falling off this car are of the very
finest British manufacture'
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
5.247:

We have two pre-hung exterior entry doors that have “bulb” type
weather stripping that is held in place by an attached spline inserted
into a slot in the door frame. We’re not getting a good seal,
although the door has been adjusted for maximum closure.

I don’t want to have to undergo any structural modifications, and am
considering installing an exterior weather strip like the one shown on
this link.

Any opinions, pro or con, or other suggestions?

TIA

http://www.amconservationgroup.com/s...s.asp?idCatego
ry= 195

Any chance of posting a pic of what you have, especially the channel? May
get some better suggestions. Then again, maybe everyone already knows what
you're talking about...except me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 01 Dec 2008 10:45:39p, Red Green told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
5.247:

We have two pre-hung exterior entry doors that have “bulb” type
weather stripping that is held in place by an attached spline inserted
into a slot in the door frame. We’re not getting a good seal,
although the door has been adjusted for maximum closure.

I don’t want to have to undergo any structural modifications, and am
considering installing an exterior weather strip like the one shown on
this link.

Any opinions, pro or con, or other suggestions?

TIA

http://www.amconservationgroup.com/s...s.asp?idCatego
ry= 195

Any chance of posting a pic of what you have, especially the channel? May
get some better suggestions. Then again, maybe everyone already knows

what
you're talking about...except me.

I’ll get a digital picture of the door jamb and weather stripping tomorrow.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 12(XII)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
3wks 2dys 1hrs 10mins
If the government doesn't trust the people, why doesn't it dissolve
them and elect a new people?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 03:48:40 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

We have two pre-hung exterior entry doors that have “bulb” type weather
stripping that is held in place by an attached spline inserted into a slot
in the door frame. We’re not getting a good seal, although the door has
been adjusted for maximum closure.

If that is a Peachtree door and replacement weatherstrip are you sure
it is the right size? It took me forever to find it- and when I
finally remembered/figured out the door was a Peachtree & went to the
lumberyard where I bought it and asked for the strips for the
Peachtree door the counter guy was scratching his head when the 'old
guy' walked by and went to some dusty part of the warehouse and
retrieved the right strips.

The spline on [the old] peachtree is huge. This looks like a good
cure-
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/product...a3f71cdaab4762
[same url http://tinyurl.com/6eqo6r ]

I like that stuff when it works. We had a cat that liked to dig at
it so we went through a lot years ago, but I think we've got 8 yrs on
the last strips and they still look and work fine.

I don’t want to have to undergo any structural modifications, and am
considering installing an exterior weather strip like the one shown on this
link.

Any opinions, pro or con, or other suggestions?

TIA

http://www.amconservationgroup.com/s...sp?idCategory=
195

I'd want to handle that stuff before I bought it. From the picture I
can't tell how it actually seals.

On the materials only; I like silicone- but hate aluminum. It
transmits heat quicker than water, and usually looks 'old' in a year
or two. [the foam weatherstrips do, too, but they are buried in the
doorjamb; not the first thing you see at the entrance.]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

These are three shots of my door jamb with the weather stripping in place,
but none are very good because everything is white and it tends to all run
together. I was afraid to pull any of the weather stripping out of the
slot because it’s a very tight fit and I didn’t think I could push it back
in.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=16ar2ut&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=qss3kk&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35i0igz&s=4

This shot is a piece of similarly constructed weather stripping I found on
the net.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35i0igz&s=4

If I were to use what I propose, I would leave the current weather
stripping in place. The new weather stripping would be mounted on the
outside of the door with the silicone bulb (tubing) pressing tightly
against it.

I hope that all makes sense.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 12(XII)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
3wks 1dys 6hrs 42mins
Radioactive halibut will make fission chips.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 02 Dec 2008 05:52:06a, Jim Elbrecht told us...

wrote:

We have two pre-hung exterior entry doors that have “bulb” type weather
stripping that is held in place by an attached spline inserted into a
slot in the door frame. We’re not getting a good seal, although the
door has been adjusted for maximum closure.

If that is a Peachtree door and replacement weatherstrip are you sure
it is the right size? It took me forever to find it- and when I
finally remembered/figured out the door was a Peachtree & went to the
lumberyard where I bought it and asked for the strips for the
Peachtree door the counter guy was scratching his head when the 'old
guy' walked by and went to some dusty part of the warehouse and
retrieved the right strips.

No, I’m sure it’s not a Peachtree door, but I don’t know the brand. The
doors were already installed in the house when we bought it and I can’t
find any markings.

The spline on [the old] peachtree is huge. This looks like a good
cure-
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/product...&products_id=8
4248&osCsid=846124c817fe508e38a3f71cdaab4762 [same url
http://tinyurl.com/6eqo6r ]

The spline on the weather stripping is very thin and fits very tightly into
its slot. I haven’t removed any section of it for fear of not getting it
back in place.

I don’t think this would work without considerable change to the door jamb.

Here are three not very good shots of the present stripping on the door
jamb. Unfortunately, everything is white so it all tends to run together.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=16ar2ut&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=qss3kk&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35i0igz&s=4

This shot is a piece of similarly constructed weather stripping I found on
the net.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35i0igz&s=4

My plan was to leave the current weather stripping in place, then mount the
aluminum strip with silicon seal on the exterior door jamb with the seal
pressing tightly against the door.

http://www.amconservationgroup.com/s...asp?idCategory
= 195

I'd want to handle that stuff before I bought it. From the picture I
can't tell how it actually seals.

I’ve seen a similar product in a local store, but it wasn’t as wide, and I
need the width to insure complete coverage.

The mounting of the aluminum plate allows for adjustment closer or further
away from the door after initial mounting. The tubular shaped silicone seal
compresses against the door when closed.

On the materials only; I like silicone- but hate aluminum. It
transmits heat quicker than water, and usually looks 'old' in a year
or two. [the foam weatherstrips do, too, but they are buried in the
doorjamb; not the first thing you see at the entrance.]

I hated aluminum when we lived in NE Ohio. It always looked like crap.
However, I now live in the desert southwest, so we don’t have the corrosion
problems with aluminum that are common in climates where there is a lot of
rain, snow, and ice. Our door sills are heavy grooved aluminum and look as
bright as they day we moved in. If I should get any spots, a small amount
of aluminum polish makes it look like new.

My main concern is protecting against heat loss from air conditioning and
dust infiltration, as we have many heavy dust storms here at times. We use
very little heat in the winter, so heat loss is not much of an issue.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 12(XII)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
3wks 1dys 6hrs 31mins
'Remember.' -Charles I (1600-49), King of England, last word

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 02 Dec 2008 05:29:06p, Wayne Boatwright told us...

[...]

Sorry, but the last shot was a duplicate. Here is the small piece of
weather stripping:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=htw4jo&s=4

Date: Tuesday, 12(XII)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
3wks 1dys 6hrs 10mins
Never call a man a fool. Instead, borrow from him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 02 Dec 2008 05:46:10p, Wayne Boatwright told us...

http://www.allaboutdoors.com/product...1&products_id=

Date: Tuesday, 12(XII)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
3wks 1dys 6hrs 8mins
Catholic (n.) - a cat with a drinking problem.