Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Exterior Door Weather Stripping

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 03:48:40 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

We have two pre-hung exterior entry doors that have “bulb” type weather
stripping that is held in place by an attached spline inserted into a slot
in the door frame. We’re not getting a good seal, although the door has
been adjusted for maximum closure.

If that is a Peachtree door and replacement weatherstrip are you sure
it is the right size? It took me forever to find it- and when I
finally remembered/figured out the door was a Peachtree & went to the
lumberyard where I bought it and asked for the strips for the
Peachtree door the counter guy was scratching his head when the 'old
guy' walked by and went to some dusty part of the warehouse and
retrieved the right strips.

The spline on [the old] peachtree is huge. This looks like a good
cure-
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/product...a3f71cdaab4762
[same url http://tinyurl.com/6eqo6r ]

I like that stuff when it works. We had a cat that liked to dig at
it so we went through a lot years ago, but I think we've got 8 yrs on
the last strips and they still look and work fine.

I don’t want to have to undergo any structural modifications, and am
considering installing an exterior weather strip like the one shown on this
link.

Any opinions, pro or con, or other suggestions?

TIA

http://www.amconservationgroup.com/s...sp?idCategory=
195

I'd want to handle that stuff before I bought it. From the picture I
can't tell how it actually seals.

On the materials only; I like silicone- but hate aluminum. It
transmits heat quicker than water, and usually looks 'old' in a year
or two. [the foam weatherstrips do, too, but they are buried in the
doorjamb; not the first thing you see at the entrance.]

Jim