Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cut Sink Hole in Formica

Due to some new appliances, I need to replace a Formica counter that has an
existing sink.

Can someone suggest the best way to cut a hole in the new counter to accept
a standard stainless sink? Should I drill and use a jigsaw? A plunge-cut
with a circular saw?

Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perry Aynum wrote in :

Due to some new appliances, I need to replace a Formica counter that
has an existing sink.

Can someone suggest the best way to cut a hole in the new counter to
accept a standard stainless sink? Should I drill and use a jigsaw?
A plunge-cut with a circular saw?

Thanks for any advice.

Either one of those will work.

You want to avoid splintering the laminate, so use a sharp blade. One
designed for plywood will be slow but safe. Put tape over the cut line,
then cut through the tape to minimize the chances of splinters.

I recommend a router if it's a below-counter sink and the edge has to
be pretty. Use a down-spiral bit that will push the laminate down.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:39:12 -0500, "Perry Aynum"
wrote:

Due to some new appliances, I need to replace a Formica counter that has an
existing sink.

Can someone suggest the best way to cut a hole in the new counter to accept
a standard stainless sink? Should I drill and use a jigsaw? A plunge-cut
with a circular saw?

Thanks for any advice.

Drill and jigsaw works fine. Drill all four corners using as large a
radius as the sink will permit as sharp corners are more prone to
starting cracks. When sawing out the center with a jigsaw, saw from
the back side and support the center piece so it doesn't fall before
the cut is complete and crack or tear the laminate. Take a fine file
or medium sandpaper and dress (round slightly) the sharp Formica edge
afterward.

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 8:39*am, "Perry Aynum" wrote:
Due to some new appliances, I need to replace a Formica counter that has an
existing sink.

Can someone suggest the best way to cut a hole in the new counter to accept
a standard stainless sink? *Should I drill and use a jigsaw? *A plunge-cut
with a circular saw?

Thanks for any advice.

Ive seen guys use circular saws, but they use them every day, it could
bind and jump or chip the counter unless you are carefull.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 8:51*am, "SteveBell"
wrote:
Perry Aynum wrote in :

Due to some new appliances, I need to replace a Formica counter that
has an existing sink.

Can someone suggest the best way to cut a hole in the new counter to
accept a standard stainless sink? *Should I drill and use a jigsaw?
A plunge-cut with a circular saw?

Thanks for any advice.

Either one of those will work.

You want to avoid splintering the laminate, so use a sharp blade. One
designed for plywood will be slow but safe. Put tape over the cut line,
then cut through the tape to minimize the chances of splinters.

I recommend a router if it's a below-counter sink and the edge has to
be pretty. Use a down-spiral bit that will push the laminate down.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX

Uhh Steve -

You guys install undermount sinks in laminate there in TX? Must be a
regional thing...

Kidding aside, how could you do this? The exposed edge would be
particle board, and would last about a week.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 5:47*pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Nov 30, 8:51*am, "SteveBell"
wrote:

Perry Aynum wrote in :

[...]

JK- Hide quoted text -

The best way I have found to do it is with a router.I ve done a few
for Habitat and make a new template every time I come across a new
sink. Jig saw works too. If I am making a new counter top to replace
an old one sometimes I use the old counter top to make my template. I
ve accumatled about a half dozen different templates now.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Big_Jake wrote in
:

On Nov 30, 8:51*am, "SteveBell"
wrote:
Perry Aynum wrote in :

[...]

OK, I'm an idiot.

I was trying to cover all the bases, and I got carried away.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote in
:

Big_Jake wrote in
:

On Nov 30, 8:51*am, "SteveBell"
wrote:
Perry Aynum wrote in :

[...]

Looks like you covered 4th base too :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in :

"SteveBell" wrote in
:

Big_Jake wrote in
:

On Nov 30, 8:51 am, "SteveBell"
wrote:
Perry Aynum wrote in :

[...]

I think I had already rounded 4th and was headed for 5th.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Drill Hole in Kitchen Sink ? grinder Home Repair 3 October 22nd 06 04:10 PM
Drilling a hole in a porcelain sink Butzmark Home Repair 8 September 7th 06 10:38 PM
Sink hole in my walkway [email protected] Home Repair 6 May 26th 06 03:06 PM
Drilling hole in sink Tom UK diy 16 April 20th 06 12:23 AM
hole in sink Argo Home Repair 2 October 3rd 05 09:42 PM