Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Cut Sink Hole in Formica

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:39:12 -0500, "Perry Aynum"
wrote:

Due to some new appliances, I need to replace a Formica counter that has an
existing sink.

Can someone suggest the best way to cut a hole in the new counter to accept
a standard stainless sink? Should I drill and use a jigsaw? A plunge-cut
with a circular saw?

Thanks for any advice.

Drill and jigsaw works fine. Drill all four corners using as large a
radius as the sink will permit as sharp corners are more prone to
starting cracks. When sawing out the center with a jigsaw, saw from
the back side and support the center piece so it doesn't fall before
the cut is complete and crack or tear the laminate. Take a fine file
or medium sandpaper and dress (round slightly) the sharp Formica edge
afterward.

Paul F.