Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default Cut Sink Hole in Formica

Red Green wrote in :

"SteveBell" wrote in
:

Big_Jake wrote in
:

On Nov 30, 8:51 am, "SteveBell"
wrote:
Perry Aynum wrote in :

Due to some new appliances, I need to replace a Formica counter
that has an existing sink.

Can someone suggest the best way to cut a hole in the new
counter to accept a standard stainless sink? Should I drill
and use a jigsaw? A plunge-cut with a circular saw?

Thanks for any advice.

Either one of those will work.

You want to avoid splintering the laminate, so use a sharp blade.
One designed for plywood will be slow but safe. Put tape over the
cut line, then cut through the tape to minimize the chances of
splinters.

I recommend a router if it's a below-counter sink and the edge
has to be pretty. Use a down-spiral bit that will push the
laminate down.

Uhh Steve -

You guys install undermount sinks in laminate there in TX? Must
be a regional thing...

Kidding aside, how could you do this? The exposed edge would be
particle board, and would last about a week.

OK, I'm an idiot.

I was trying to cover all the bases, and I got carried away.

Looks like you covered 4th base too :-)

I think I had already rounded 4th and was headed for 5th.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement