Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Swollen Flashlight batteries

I am trying to get the two AA batteries out of a "Mini Mag type"
flashlight. The batteries are dead and swollen up. They are tightly
stuck in the flashlight body. Any hints about how to get them out would
be appreciated.

The way this light is built I can only get at the base end of the
batteries. The light was made by Brinkmann.

Thanks,
EJ in NJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
I am trying to get the two AA batteries out of a "Mini Mag type"
flashlight. The batteries are dead and swollen up. They are tightly stuck
in the flashlight body. Any hints about how to get them out would be
appreciated.

The way this light is built I can only get at the base end of the
batteries. The light was made by Brinkmann.

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

If the batteries have swollen that much they are probably leaking. This will
raise havoc with contacts, swiches etc.

Time for a new flashlight. Get one of the LED ones. A little more money, a
lot more light and battery life.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 1:08*pm, Ernie Willson wrote:
I am trying to get the two AA batteries out of a "Mini Mag type"
flashlight. The batteries are dead and swollen up. They are tightly
stuck in the flashlight body. Any hints about how to get them out would
be appreciated.

The way this light is built I can only get at the base end of the
batteries. The light was made by Brinkmann.

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

Very carefully drill into the base of the cells. You may then be able
to use a screw or screwdriver to pull out the remains of the cell/s.

If not drilling several holes will destroy the cells and they can then
probably be chipped and levered out piece by piece with an old
screwdriver. Use plain water to wash out the flashlight case and
screwdrivers etc. to get rid of any of the corrosive alkali that has
probably seeped out of the swollen cells.

I do seem to recall doing this once many years ago. Older style
batteries were often, then, cardboard encased, unlike present day
steel.

BTW can you get at the 'other end' of the flashlight body to help
drive out through, bits of the swollen cells, using. say, a piece of
wood dowel etc.?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
I am trying to get the two AA batteries out of a "Mini Mag type" flashlight.
The batteries are dead and swollen up. They are tightly stuck in the flashlight
body. Any hints about how to get them out would be appreciated.

The way this light is built I can only get at the base end of the batteries.
The light was made by Brinkmann.

Certain brands of batteries have a warrantee that the company will
repair/replace any device damaged by tthe batteries. If you know the brand,
check the manufacturers website for more info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ernie Willson wrote in
:

I am trying to get the two AA batteries out of a "Mini Mag type"
flashlight. The batteries are dead and swollen up. They are tightly
stuck in the flashlight body. Any hints about how to get them out would
be appreciated.

The way this light is built I can only get at the base end of the
batteries. The light was made by Brinkmann.

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

get a long drywall-type screw,drive it into the base of the 1st cell,and
use pliers to pull it out. repeat for cell 2

you could also try vinegar to dissolve/neutralize any leaking electrolyte.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 8:08*am, Ernie Willson wrote:
I am trying to get the two AA batteries out of a "Mini Mag type"
flashlight. The batteries are dead and swollen up. They are tightly
stuck in the flashlight body. Any hints about how to get them out would
be appreciated.

The way this light is built I can only get at the base end of the
batteries. The light was made by Brinkmann.

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

EJ-

BTDT, not worth the effort unless its just curiosity. My suggestion
is, invoke the battery warranty....they usually send a check (or
coupon) for the flashlight & a coupon for the batteries.

I've done this with DuraCells several times since in my experience
DuraCells & Maglights don't mix well. One reason why I switched away
from DuraCells.

If you really want to get the batteries out, you can drill them out.

Be careful, getting hurt isn't worth the price of a mini-maglight.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:08:47 -0500, Ernie Willson
wrote:

I am trying to get the two AA batteries out of a "Mini Mag type"
flashlight. The batteries are dead and swollen up. They are tightly
stuck in the flashlight body. Any hints about how to get them out would
be appreciated.

The way this light is built I can only get at the base end of the
batteries. The light was made by Brinkmann.

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

A brinkmann isn't worth loosing any skin over. Dunk it in hot water,
and if that doesn't do it, bin it.

If you REALLY love the flashlight, drill a small hole in the end of
the battery and screw in a honking bug screw-eye to pull on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am trying to get the two AA batteries out of a "Mini Mag type"
flashlight. The batteries are dead and swollen up. They are tightly
stuck in the flashlight body. Any hints about how to get them out would
be appreciated.

The way this light is built I can only get at the base end of the
batteries. The light was made by Brinkmann.

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

A brinkmann isn't worth loosing any skin over. Dunk it in hot water,
and if that doesn't do it, bin it.

If you REALLY love the flashlight, drill a small hole in the end of
the battery and screw in a honking bug screw-eye to pull on.

Easier way is to send the flashlight back to the battery company and they
will replace it if the battery leaked. Look at the guarantee on the
battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 22:26:11 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I am trying to get the two AA batteries out of a "Mini Mag type"
flashlight. The batteries are dead and swollen up. They are tightly
stuck in the flashlight body. Any hints about how to get them out would
be appreciated.

The way this light is built I can only get at the base end of the
batteries. The light was made by Brinkmann.

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

A brinkmann isn't worth loosing any skin over. Dunk it in hot water,
and if that doesn't do it, bin it.

If you REALLY love the flashlight, drill a small hole in the end of
the battery and screw in a honking bug screw-eye to pull on.

Easier way is to send the flashlight back to the battery company and they
will replace it if the battery leaked. Look at the guarantee on the
battery.

But he'd have to remove the battery to know which company to send it
to?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 22:26:11 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Nah, just a peep hole in the side with a cutting torch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Pick a battery company - ANY battery company - and send the flashlight.
Either they will send back a new flashlight without bothering to remove the
batteries or they will remove the batteries. If they remove the batteries
and they are their brand, they will send back a new flashlight; if the
batteries are not theirs, they will send back the old flashlight (possibly
with a shipping charge) but the batteries will be gone.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 8:20*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 22:26:11 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico- Hide quoted text -

Strange? Would have thought shipping/mailing batteries especially
defective and leaky ones (and not even lead acid) would be considered
hazardous? (Oh dear; those mail plane crashes!!!!!).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 11:08*am, Ernie Willson wrote:
I am trying to get the two AA batteries out of a "Mini Mag type"
flashlight. The batteries are dead and swollen up. They are tightly
stuck in the flashlight body. Any hints about how to get them out would
be appreciated.

The way this light is built I can only get at the base end of the
batteries. The light was made by Brinkmann.

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

Just dump it and buy a couple of LED flashlights. Far cheaper in
the long run and if one dies, OK you got a backup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Nov 27, 11:08 am, Ernie Willson wrote:
I am trying to get the two AA batteries out of a "Mini Mag type"
flashlight. The batteries are dead and swollen up. They are tightly
stuck in the flashlight body. Any hints about how to get them out would
be appreciated.

The way this light is built I can only get at the base end of the
batteries. The light was made by Brinkmann.

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

Just dump it and buy a couple of LED flashlights. Far cheaper in
the long run and if one dies, OK you got a backup.

Now would be a good time to plug:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...03W&lpage=none

best flashlight bang for the buck and you don't even have to mail order
it. (I have two. They kick my old 3D LED Mag-Lite's arse.) Only
downside it it may not be waterproof, but the only weak spot seems to be
the switch. If you get a silicone seal for that and then put some
silicone on all the threads/O-rings it probably would be.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Slide hammer? Or drill all the way to the OD and then use a bearing
extractor to get the first one out (and hope the second follows?)

nate

Ernie Willson wrote:
I gave up after about one hour of trying to remove the batteries by
drilling them out. They are still stuck tightly.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

EJ in NJ

wrote:
On Nov 27, 11:08 am, Ernie Willson wrote:
I am trying to get the two AA batteries out of a "Mini Mag type"
flashlight. The batteries are dead and swollen up. They are tightly
stuck in the flashlight body. Any hints about how to get them out would
be appreciated.

The way this light is built I can only get at the base end of the
batteries. The light was made by Brinkmann.

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

Just dump it and buy a couple of LED flashlights. Far cheaper in
the long run and if one dies, OK you got a backup.

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ernie Willson wrote:
I am trying to get the two AA batteries out of a "Mini Mag type"
flashlight. The batteries are dead and swollen up. They are tightly
stuck in the flashlight body. Any hints about how to get them out would
be appreciated.

The way this light is built I can only get at the base end of the
batteries. The light was made by Brinkmann.

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

It's a pain, but to remove the DuraCell junk from my MagLight I took a
slide hammer which has a small chuck or collet at one end. I inserted a
dry wall screw, drilled a small hole in the bottom of the battery,
threaded the screw in and hammered out the battery.

Clean up with water and baking soda or soap, etc., rinse well with clear
water, and dry. If you have a vacuum chamber use it to dry the
flashlight, otherwise let it air dry for a couple of days before closing
the flashlight up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boden wrote in :

Ernie Willson wrote:
[...]

Uh,baking soda is wrong for alkaline batteries.
(few people use carbon-zinc["heavy duty"] cells anymore)
vinegar(acid) is used to neutralize alkaline.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=225285-....

best flashlight bang for the buck and you don't even have to mail order
it. *(I have two. *They kick my old 3D LED Mag-Lite's arse.) *Only
downside it it may not be waterproof, but the only weak spot seems to be
the switch. *If you get a silicone seal for that and then put some
silicone on all the threads/O-rings it probably would be.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I have been buying like ones for about $2.50 each I have a couple
I got for less than $2.00. Who cares if they are water proof, just
pull out the other one.