Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Maytag/Amana bottom freezer noise

I own a 4 year old Maytag (actually built my Amana) bottom freezer
refrigerator. It is making a strange clicking noise that I traced to
something ridiculous. It is the freezer light switch. When the freezer
light switch is on (freezer drawer is open) there is no noise. But if you
push the switch in (light is off) or push the freezer drawer closed a
constant click click morse code like sound is emitted by the refrigerator.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience in replacing the freezer light
switch on this model.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
m...
I own a 4 year old Maytag (actually built my Amana) bottom freezer
refrigerator. It is making a strange clicking noise that I traced to
something ridiculous. It is the freezer light switch. When the freezer
light switch is on (freezer drawer is open) there is no noise. But if you
push the switch in (light is off) or push the freezer drawer closed a
constant click click morse code like sound is emitted by the refrigerator.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience in replacing the freezer light
switch on this model.

Thanks.

Probably not the switch. You may have some debris in a fan that turns off
when the door opens.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

More research indicates that the light switch turns on the ice maker when
the drawer is closed. The noise appears related to the ice maker which
seems to have failed.

"Pat" wrote in message
nvilleaccesscompany...

"Art" wrote in message
m...
I own a 4 year old Maytag (actually built my Amana) bottom freezer
refrigerator. It is making a strange clicking noise that I traced to
something ridiculous. It is the freezer light switch. When the freezer
light switch is on (freezer drawer is open) there is no noise. But if you
push the switch in (light is off) or push the freezer drawer closed a
constant click click morse code like sound is emitted by the refrigerator.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience in replacing the freezer
light switch on this model.

Thanks.

Probably not the switch. You may have some debris in a fan that turns off
when the door opens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 2:48*pm, "Art" wrote:
More research indicates that the light switch turns on the ice maker when
the drawer is closed. *The noise appears related to the ice maker which
seems to have failed.

"Pat" wrote in message

nvilleaccesscompany...

"Art" wrote in message
om...
I own a 4 year old Maytag (actually built my Amana) bottom freezer
refrigerator. *It is making a strange *clicking noise that I traced to
something ridiculous. *It is the freezer light switch. *When the freezer
light switch is on (freezer drawer is open) there is no noise. *But if you
push the switch in (light is off) or push the freezer drawer closed a
constant click click morse code like sound is emitted by the refrigerator.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience in replacing the freezer
light switch on this model.

Thanks.

Probably not the switch. *You may have some debris in a fan that turns off
when the door opens.- Hide quoted text -

OK - here's the question -

Does the switch turn the ice machine on when the drawer is closed or
does the switch turn the ice machine off when the drawer is open?

I vote for "off when open" since it's essentially a safety feature.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

You are talking more recent history than my refrigerator. Amana was
building almost all brand bottom freezer models before Maytag took them
over. Now of course Whirlpool owns all.

"Claude Hopper" wrote in message
Art wrote:
I own a 4 year old Maytag (actually built my Amana) bottom freezer
refrigerator. It is making a strange clicking noise that I traced to
something ridiculous. It is the freezer light switch. When the freezer
light switch is on (freezer drawer is open) there is no noise. But if
you
push the switch in (light is off) or push the freezer drawer closed a
constant click click morse code like sound is emitted by the
refrigerator.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience in replacing the freezer
light
switch on this model.

Thanks.

Other way around. Amana built by Maytag.

Amana Bought By Maytag

Newton, IA Maytag, the Newton, IA-based appliance manufacturer that also
serves as the parent company of Jenn-Air, has acquired the major
appliance and commercial microwave oven businesses of Amana Appliances,
the company announced.

Maytag, which purchased the Amana assets from Goodman Global Holdings
Co., Inc., paid $325 million, according to published reports. The
acquisition, which is subject to regulatory approval, is expected to be
finalized in the near future. Amana, based in Amana, IA, employs some
400 workers at three manufacturing facilities.

--
Claude Hopper

? ? ¥

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

As it turns out, turning off the ice maker for several days fixed the
problem. Perhaps it was jammed ice but no jammed ice was visible.

"Art" wrote in message
m...
More research indicates that the light switch turns on the ice maker when
the drawer is closed. The noise appears related to the ice maker which
seems to have failed.

"Pat" wrote in message
nvilleaccesscompany...

"Art" wrote in message
m...
I own a 4 year old Maytag (actually built my Amana) bottom freezer
refrigerator. It is making a strange clicking noise that I traced to
something ridiculous. It is the freezer light switch. When the freezer
light switch is on (freezer drawer is open) there is no noise. But if
you push the switch in (light is off) or push the freezer drawer closed a
constant click click morse code like sound is emitted by the
refrigerator. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in replacing
the freezer light switch on this model.

Thanks.

Probably not the switch. You may have some debris in a fan that turns
off when the door opens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, 25 November 2008 18:12:58 UTC-5, Art wrote:
I own a 4 year old Maytag (actually built my Amana) bottom freezer
refrigerator. It is making a strange clicking noise that I traced to
something ridiculous. It is the freezer light switch. When the freezer
light switch is on (freezer drawer is open) there is no noise. But if you
push the switch in (light is off) or push the freezer drawer closed a
constant click click morse code like sound is emitted by the refrigerator.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience in replacing the freezer light
switch on this model.

Thanks.

I am experiencing this exact problem. What is the solution??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, 7 May 2016 14:23:33 UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, 25 November 2008 18:12:58 UTC-5, Art wrote:
I own a 4 year old Maytag (actually built my Amana) bottom freezer
refrigerator. It is making a strange clicking noise that I traced to
something ridiculous. It is the freezer light switch. When the freezer
light switch is on (freezer drawer is open) there is no noise. But if you
push the switch in (light is off) or push the freezer drawer closed a
constant click click morse code like sound is emitted by the refrigerator.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience in replacing the freezer light
switch on this model.

Thanks.

I am experiencing this exact problem. What is the solution??

Thank you ART .This is exactly the problem. Removed a piece of stuck ice and problem fixed
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 May 2016 11:23:28 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I am experiencing this exact problem. What is the solution??

Stop the noise. What am I missing?!
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Art, Tom wrote:
Thanks, Art! I thought the freezer was overpacked during the holidays, but it
was the ice. The metal sensor was caught in place.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...se-344395-.htm