Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Check Your Furnaces

Here's another reason to perform regular maintenance on your furnace
even if it's running fine...

My 3 YO furnace seemed to be cycling on and off when it first fired
up, so I suspected a dirty flame sensor. When I opened the panel I
found water (and a little rust) under the drip collector for the vent
pipe. When I pulled the vent pipe out and looked down into the
collector, I found that it was cracked along the back wall. When the
exhuast blower came on, water would leak out the back and drip onto
the "shelf".

I know this wasn't the cause of my initial problem but I wouldn't have
found it if I hadn't been looking for something else.

It was just a reminder that even when things seem to be going OK, we
should be inspecting our appliances on a regular basis - just in case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:44:32 -0800 (PST), "gnu/linux"
wrote:

On Nov 24, 9:28Â*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Here's another reason to perform regular maintenance on your furnace
even if it's running fine...

My 3 YO furnace seemed to be cycling on and off when it first fired
up, so I suspected a dirty flame sensor. When I opened the panel I
found water (and a little rust) under the drip collector for the vent
pipe. When I pulled the vent pipe out and looked down into the
collector, I found that it was cracked along the back wall. When the
exhuast blower came on, water would leak out the back and drip onto
the "shelf".

I know this wasn't the cause of my initial problem but I wouldn't have
found it if I hadn't been looking for something else.

It was just a reminder that even when things seem to be going OK, we
should be inspecting our appliances on a regular basis - just in case.

Thanks !

Another reason NOT to own a "high deficiency" furnace!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

wrote:

[...]

I suppose you still use a horse and buggy. Why get into those new fangled
4-wheel gas machines that require more than hay and a visit from the Vet
every now and then.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:02:21 -0500, "MLD" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

No, but I chose to purchace a good MID efficiency furnace instead of
the condensing version on advice from several furnace dealers in the
area. Even at todays gas prices, the savings from a GOOD non
condensing furnace to the condensing model will hardly pay for the
earlier required repair/replacement of the condensing furnace.

I went with 2 stage burner, DC fan and 2 speed eductor fan.

Several neighbours and my brother bought high efficiency condensing
furnaces within the last 10 years and have replaced them already due
to required repairs being more expensive than replacement (and in 2
cases after having spent over $1000 on repairs already)

All were (different) brand name furnaces.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 4:44*pm, Claude Hopper
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
Here's another reason to perform regular maintenance on your furnace
even if it's running fine...

My 3 YO furnace seemed to be cycling on and off when it first fired
up, so I suspected a dirty flame sensor. When I opened the panel I
found water (and a little rust) under the drip collector for the vent
pipe. When I pulled the vent pipe out and looked down into the
collector, I found that it was cracked along the back wall. When the
exhuast blower came on, water would leak out the back and drip onto
the "shelf".

I know this wasn't the cause of my initial problem but I wouldn't have
found it if I hadn't been looking for something else.

It was just a reminder that even when things seem to be going OK, we
should be inspecting our appliances on a regular basis - just in case.

What panel is that? you mean the ignitor transformer plate? How is water
getting in there? Are you on the burner? That's where the flame sensor is..

--
Claude Hopper * * * * *

Refer to this document:

http://www.aitons.com/2004pdfs/HC-GL-98.pdf

Look at the picture of the upflow furnace on page 1. In the upper left
you'll see the top of the tail piece where the vent pipe goes into the
furnace.

Then scroll down to the lower half of page 4 and look at the picture
of the interior under "UPFLOW ACCESSORIES" . The tail piece goes into
a right-angle fitting that connects to the exhaust blower and also
drains down to the condensate trap in the bottom section.

There was a crack starting at the top of the tailpiece and extending
about 4" down. Whenever the blower came on, water would leak from the
crack and pool under the fitting on upper shelf. I replaced the
tailpipe and right-angle fitting last night and all is well - so far.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:02:21 -0500, "MLD" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

There is not as much of a difference between the two types of furnaces as
you might think. i have a condensing furnace and it's been running just
fine for the past two years. Who knows how everything will turn out but for
now but if there is a problem I'm pretty well covered for all key components
(electronic and hardware) via the Gas Company Service plan. Too bad those
that spent over $1000 didn't have a service contract.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

wrote:

[...]

With 10 year parts and lifetime heat exchanger warranties I don't understand
why the $1,000 repair. Show me the money?

--
Zyp

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 12:34:01 -0800, "Zyp" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

On BOTH with the high repair costs, the electronic control boards
failed. First one covered by warrany in both cases. Second also on my
brothers, and when the third one went the dealer said he would NOT fix
it again and gave him a reasonable credit towards a new furnace.

These controllers were something like $600 Canadian EACH, plus
installation.

To be fair, after the furnace was replaced the neighbour found an
aftermarket board was available at about half the price, but the third
time his went I had soldered on some jumpers to patch the burned out
board and got him through the winter. He was not willing to spend even
another $100 on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Therse furnaces can be very reliable based on my experience.

I bought a 94% efficiency condensing furnace in 1984 when Heil first
introduced it, and only replaced it last year after 23 years of extremely
reliable service. It was still running fine at the time I had it removed and
replaced and the used furnace actually brought $350 in the local swap sheet
/ craigslist. I bought another Heil of the same type to replace it.

Smarty