Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Check Your Furnaces

Here's another reason to perform regular maintenance on your furnace
even if it's running fine...

My 3 YO furnace seemed to be cycling on and off when it first fired
up, so I suspected a dirty flame sensor. When I opened the panel I
found water (and a little rust) under the drip collector for the vent
pipe. When I pulled the vent pipe out and looked down into the
collector, I found that it was cracked along the back wall. When the
exhuast blower came on, water would leak out the back and drip onto
the "shelf".

I know this wasn't the cause of my initial problem but I wouldn't have
found it if I hadn't been looking for something else.

It was just a reminder that even when things seem to be going OK, we
should be inspecting our appliances on a regular basis - just in case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:44:32 -0800 (PST), "gnu/linux"
wrote:

On Nov 24, 9:28Â*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Here's another reason to perform regular maintenance on your furnace
even if it's running fine...

My 3 YO furnace seemed to be cycling on and off when it first fired
up, so I suspected a dirty flame sensor. When I opened the panel I
found water (and a little rust) under the drip collector for the vent
pipe. When I pulled the vent pipe out and looked down into the
collector, I found that it was cracked along the back wall. When the
exhuast blower came on, water would leak out the back and drip onto
the "shelf".

I know this wasn't the cause of my initial problem but I wouldn't have
found it if I hadn't been looking for something else.

It was just a reminder that even when things seem to be going OK, we
should be inspecting our appliances on a regular basis - just in case.

Thanks !

Another reason NOT to own a "high deficiency" furnace!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

wrote:

[...]

I suppose you still use a horse and buggy. Why get into those new fangled
4-wheel gas machines that require more than hay and a visit from the Vet
every now and then.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:02:21 -0500, "MLD" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

No, but I chose to purchace a good MID efficiency furnace instead of
the condensing version on advice from several furnace dealers in the
area. Even at todays gas prices, the savings from a GOOD non
condensing furnace to the condensing model will hardly pay for the
earlier required repair/replacement of the condensing furnace.

I went with 2 stage burner, DC fan and 2 speed eductor fan.

Several neighbours and my brother bought high efficiency condensing
furnaces within the last 10 years and have replaced them already due
to required repairs being more expensive than replacement (and in 2
cases after having spent over $1000 on repairs already)

All were (different) brand name furnaces.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:02:21 -0500, "MLD" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

There is not as much of a difference between the two types of furnaces as
you might think. i have a condensing furnace and it's been running just
fine for the past two years. Who knows how everything will turn out but for
now but if there is a problem I'm pretty well covered for all key components
(electronic and hardware) via the Gas Company Service plan. Too bad those
that spent over $1000 didn't have a service contract.
MLD