Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas line size for new high BTU BBQ???

I just bought a Vermont Castings VCS5007 http://www.myownbbq.com/content/prod...ils.cfm?id=353 that uses 62,500 BTUs with all 5 burners running. Another 15,000 when the side burner is on. I used it tonight for the 1st time and found that there was not much difference between the flame when the valves are on high or on low. I was wondering if this could be due to the gas pipe size. From the meter it is 1/2" and the run is about 30'. Do I need to go to 3/4" pipe? Thx Gary
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 7:56*pm, "Gary" wrote:
I just bought a Vermont Castings VCS5007http://www.myownbbq.com/content/products/productdetails.cfm?id=353*that uses 62,500 BTUs with all 5 burners running. *Another 15,000 when the side burner is on. *I used it tonight for the 1st time and found that there was not much difference between the flame when the valves are on high or on low. *I was wondering if this could be due to the gas pipe size. *From the meter it is 1/2" and the run is about 30'. *Do I need to go to 3/4" pipe? *Thx Gary

Gary-

There was recent thread on this issue.,,,but I had a hard time finding
it

subject was

gas pipe size

Ed Pawlowski posted a link to very useful document

http://www.newark.org/externals/a6/f...257dbb1869.pdf

Not knowing the exact layout of your gas lines & appliances...I would
say that a 1/2" in your situation is probably ok but close.
depends on what else is on that gas line & whether is was running at
the time of your "test". Water heater? Furnace?

But in any case you should follow the example in the document &
determine whether your gas distribution system is up to its task.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gary" wrote in message
I just bought a Vermont Castings VCS5007
http://www.myownbbq.com/content/prod...ils.cfm?id=353 that
uses 62,500 BTUs with all 5 burners running. Another 15,000 when the side
burner is on. I used it tonight for the 1st time and found that there was
not much difference between the flame when the valves are on high or on low.
I was wondering if this could be due to the gas pipe size. From the meter
it is 1/2" and the run is about 30'. Do I need to go to 3/4" pipe? Thx
Gary

You need about 59 cfh of gas. At 30', you should be able to get 90 cfh.

Was the grill properly set up for natural gas? Proper regulator and
orifices?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yup, I bought it with the natural gas conversion kit.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Gary" wrote in message
I just bought a Vermont Castings VCS5007
http://www.myownbbq.com/content/prod...ils.cfm?id=353 that
uses 62,500 BTUs with all 5 burners running. Another 15,000 when the side
burner is on. I used it tonight for the 1st time and found that there was
not much difference between the flame when the valves are on high or on
low. I was wondering if this could be due to the gas pipe size. From the
meter it is 1/2" and the run is about 30'. Do I need to go to 3/4" pipe?
Thx Gary

You need about 59 cfh of gas. At 30', you should be able to get 90 cfh.

Was the grill properly set up for natural gas? Proper regulator and
orifices?

Can't Google at least limit the size of the topic of the post (title)to one line? (no message) [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 25th 08 11:13 PM
OT High voltage line Terry Home Repair 4 June 24th 07 05:53 PM
gas line size Gntry Home Repair 4 March 5th 06 05:08 AM
Using SAE 30R7 high pressure fuel line for drinking water meirman Home Repair 9 December 15th 04 03:18 PM