Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Gas line size for new high BTU BBQ???

On Nov 21, 7:56*pm, "Gary" wrote:
I just bought a Vermont Castings VCS5007http://www.myownbbq.com/content/products/productdetails.cfm?id=353*that uses 62,500 BTUs with all 5 burners running. *Another 15,000 when the side burner is on. *I used it tonight for the 1st time and found that there was not much difference between the flame when the valves are on high or on low. *I was wondering if this could be due to the gas pipe size. *From the meter it is 1/2" and the run is about 30'. *Do I need to go to 3/4" pipe? *Thx Gary

Gary-

There was recent thread on this issue.,,,but I had a hard time finding
it

subject was

gas pipe size

Ed Pawlowski posted a link to very useful document

http://www.newark.org/externals/a6/f...257dbb1869.pdf

Not knowing the exact layout of your gas lines & appliances...I would
say that a 1/2" in your situation is probably ok but close.
depends on what else is on that gas line & whether is was running at
the time of your "test". Water heater? Furnace?

But in any case you should follow the example in the document &
determine whether your gas distribution system is up to its task.

cheers
Bob