Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default GE Range Schematics???

Anybody know a place to fine schematics for older GE ranges?

For some reason there's nothing on the rear panel or anywhere else on
the range. Searches so far have been non-fruit bearing.

GE Electric Range Model JBV42G 001AD (ca 1980, non-electronic control
self-cleaning w/ microwave/range combination)

TIA for any leads...

-dpb

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

try he
http://genet.geappliances.com/DocSea...HURLCONNECTION

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/21/2008 11:28 AM willshak said the following:
on 11/21/2008 10:59 AM dpb said the following:
Anybody know a place to fine schematics for older GE ranges?

For some reason there's nothing on the rear panel or anywhere else on
the range. Searches so far have been non-fruit bearing.

GE Electric Range Model JBV42G 001AD (ca 1980, non-electronic control
self-cleaning w/ microwave/range combination)

TIA for any leads...

-dpb

--

try he
http://genet.geappliances.com/DocSea...HURLCONNECTION

Sorry, wrong link. Below is a direct PDF download of your range.
http://genet.geappliances.com/DocSearch/pdf/49-4628

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/21/2008 10:59 AM dpb said the following:
Anybody know a place to fine schematics for older GE ranges?

For some reason there's nothing on the rear panel or anywhere else on
the range. Searches so far have been non-fruit bearing.

GE Electric Range Model JBV42G 001AD (ca 1980, non-electronic control
self-cleaning w/ microwave/range combination)

TIA for any leads...

-dpb

--

Sorry for the other two replies I made with bad URLs. I tried to cancel
the messages but they may show up anyway.

http://www.geappliances.com/

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Anybody know a place to fine schematics for older GE ranges?

For some reason there's nothing on the rear panel or anywhere else on the
range. Searches so far have been non-fruit bearing.

GE Electric Range Model JBV42G 001AD (ca 1980, non-electronic control
self-cleaning w/ microwave/range combination)

TIA for any leads...

-dpb

--

Sometimes the stove info and schematic is pasted to the side of the range
down in the lower storage drawer compartment.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

willshak wrote:

Go here and select 'Use & Care Manuals' in the drop down 'Select
Category' box and the model number (JBV42G) in the second box.
It's a 21 meg PDF file

http://www.geappliances.com/

Any chance you have a highspeed connection and could see if there
actually is a schematic there? I have the printed manual that came w/
the range--unfortunately, there are no schematics included in it.

I figured that the pdf from this link was just a pdf file of the printed
manual and owing to the bandwith problem didn't try to download it.

If I knew there actually was a schematic, I could start a download late
tonight and hope it completed eventually.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/21/2008 1:58 PM dpb said the following:
willshak wrote:

Go here and select 'Use & Care Manuals' in the drop down 'Select
Category' box and the model number (JBV42G) in the second box.
It's a 21 meg PDF file

http://www.geappliances.com/

Any chance you have a highspeed connection and could see if there
actually is a schematic there? I have the printed manual that came w/
the range--unfortunately, there are no schematics included in it.

I figured that the pdf from this link was just a pdf file of the
printed manual and owing to the bandwith problem didn't try to
download it.

If I knew there actually was a schematic, I could start a download
late tonight and hope it completed eventually.

No, no schematic, just the user manual, but as someone else said, it may
be stuck on the range itself. Probably behind a panel somewhere.
They put them there so the service person doesn't have to carry a bunch
of books for all products and models.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

willshak wrote:

No, no schematic, just the user manual, ...

Thanks for looking--that's what I figured when looking/searching earlier.

... but as someone else said, it may
be stuck on the range itself. Probably behind a panel somewhere.
They put them there so the service person doesn't have to carry a
bunch of books for all products and models.

I wish that were so...I've removed all service covers including lifting
the cooktop and no schematics anywhere.

There's no GE appliance dealer in town any longer -- visited the one who
previously did this morning to rummage on their shelves of old service
manuals -- somebody cleaned out all the old GE stuff it appears as they
have none of the older ones prior to the electronic control module
generation left.

Guess I'll try a direct contact to GE and see if get blown off there as
expect.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

MLD wrote:

Sometimes the stove info and schematic is pasted to the side of the
range down in the lower storage drawer compartment.

I wish that were so...I've removed all service covers including lifting
the cooktop and no schematics anywhere.

This range doesn't have a lower storage drawer owing to the builtin
microwave into the oven--the magnetron et al. occupies that space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

willshak wrote:

[...]

If you can get onto the GE Appliances site at some reasonable speed, in
the parts ordering section they show parts breakdown diagrams and part
numbers you can order. I suspect that the schematics page that is
normally stuck in the appliance is one of the replacement parts you can
order. It was probably there originally and someone removed it and
didn't put it back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

willshak wrote:

[...]

Ok, I had a minute to look on the GE Appliances site and from the
exploded diagram and the parts listing it doesn't appear there is a
schematic page/label included

The parts list can't be readily extracted from the site, but probably
75% of the parts are listed as "no longer available". I did download the
PDF of the exploded diagram and put it on my server where you can get it
without having to go through page after page on the GE site.

http://wpnet.us/GE_stove.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:

Ok, I had a minute to look on the GE Appliances site and from the
exploded diagram and the parts listing it doesn't appear there is a
schematic page/label included

The parts list can't be readily extracted from the site, but probably
75% of the parts are listed as "no longer available". I did download the
PDF of the exploded diagram and put it on my server where you can get it
without having to go through page after page on the GE site.

http://wpnet.us/GE_stove.pdf

Thanks for taking the trouble.

I hadn't got to the problem of determining yet which is the precise
problem so don't know if I'll have a parts availability problem or not.

Last time I looked at one of the online parts places, most common things
(including, to my surprise, the magnetron) were still available. I'll
have to check and see--maybe I'll order a supply of likely stuff it it's
now getting hard to get. The missus would hate to give this up -- she
likes the combination microwave/oven a lot and the kitchen is so small
taking up additional limited counter space or somewhere else to put in a
standalone microwave would _not_ be a good alternative. AFAIK, nobody
makes these any longer.

Again, thanks a lot for the trying; meanwhile I'll keep looking and probing.

I have the GE "range repair for idiots" book and it helps on most things
but the particular symptom is in the "call service" category once the
couple of things related that are addressed are ok.

Problem is starting self-cleaning cycle -- it doesn't. It may be
getting isolated to the timing circuits but I'd surely like a schematic
to be able to trace/see the actual interlock circuitry.

-dpb

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Ok, I had a minute to look on the GE Appliances site and from the
exploded diagram and the parts listing it doesn't appear there is a
schematic page/label included

The parts list can't be readily extracted from the site, but probably
75% of the parts are listed as "no longer available". I did download the
PDF of the exploded diagram and put it on my server where you can get it
without having to go through page after page on the GE site.

http://wpnet.us/GE_stove.pdf

Thanks for taking the trouble.

I hadn't got to the problem of determining yet which is the precise
problem so don't know if I'll have a parts availability problem or not.

Last time I looked at one of the online parts places, most common things
(including, to my surprise, the magnetron) were still available.

I was looking at the actual GE parts site, some of the other online
parts places may indeed have stock.

I'll
have to check and see--maybe I'll order a supply of likely stuff it it's
now getting hard to get. The missus would hate to give this up -- she
likes the combination microwave/oven a lot and the kitchen is so small
taking up additional limited counter space or somewhere else to put in a
standalone microwave would _not_ be a good alternative. AFAIK, nobody
makes these any longer.

The GE Advantium is pretty much the same thing and available in an over
the range configuration I believe.

Again, thanks a lot for the trying; meanwhile I'll keep looking and probing.

I have the GE "range repair for idiots" book and it helps on most things
but the particular symptom is in the "call service" category once the
couple of things related that are addressed are ok.

Problem is starting self-cleaning cycle -- it doesn't. It may be
getting isolated to the timing circuits but I'd surely like a schematic
to be able to trace/see the actual interlock circuitry.

You may just have to do some old fashioned reverse engineering to build
a schematic. I had to do that recently on an LED dive light that
flooded. It takes a bit of tracing and scribbling, but once it's done
you can past it inside the cabinet where it belongs.

Personally, if it's just the self clean, I'd just clean it the old
fashioned way and then be a bit more diligent about putting a catch pan
in to catch any drips. I never use the self clean on my oven.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:
Personally, if it's just the self clean, I'd just clean it the old
fashioned way and then be a bit more diligent about putting a catch pan
in to catch any drips. I never use the self clean on my oven.

Any time you're out this way and need something to do, drop in...

Stuff happens despite best of intentions.

As for manual cleaning, _I_ really don't particularly enjoy the process
and the wife has a degenerative knee that is very painful (surgery
scheduled next month) so that kind of activity isn't precisely on her
recommended activities list. Consequently, while it's a convenience,
it's a moderately significant one albeit not absolutely critical, granted.

the GE Advantium, I'll have to look into it -- Mom had told me she
didn't believe they were available because at one time they had talked
of updating the kitchen and she decided she preferred what she had over
what she saw knew so kept it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:

The GE Advantium is pretty much the same thing and available in an over
the range configuration I believe.

That appears to be the only configuration, unfortunately. The cavity
size is only 8" H x 13" D rather than that of the full-size oven of the
present model. This one is a free-standing, 30" range w/ the microwave
and oven cavity the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

The GE Advantium is pretty much the same thing and available in an over
the range configuration I believe.

That appears to be the only configuration, unfortunately. The cavity
size is only 8" H x 13" D rather than that of the full-size oven of the
present model. This one is a free-standing, 30" range w/ the microwave
and oven cavity the same.

--

It appears that what you have is being called "Trivection" now, and is
still available.

http://www.geappliances.com/products...tion/overview/

GE Profile™ 30" Slide-In Electric Range with Trivection®
TechnologyModel#: JS998SKSS

Trivection® Technology — Combines thermal, convection and microwave
energies to produce quality food remarkably fast

http://products.geappliances.com/App...KU=js998sk ss
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:

It appears that what you have is being called "Trivection" now, and is
still available.

That's similar, thanks for the link. I hadn't found it looking earlier
altho searching the site is difficult owing to speed constraints noted
earler.

This seems to be something relatively new w/ the inclusion of a
convection mode as well that the current doesn't have. And of course, a
hefty $3500 price tag altho the current one was pretty pricey for the
time. Dad stuck the ticket in the book but I don't recall just what it
was, but for 1980 was quite a bit. I'm sure it wasn't the equivalent of
$3.5k, though; probably more like $2k I guess.

Anyway, I think I've actually found the problem was in the timing
circuits -- it's running a cycle now; we'll see if it completes and
unlocks and then I'll try again to see if it will start after a couple
of weeks but won't need to run a cycle; just see if it will start.

Anyway, thanks again for the help in poking around the GE site,
appreciate you taking the time...

-d(uane)

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:

Anyway, I think I've actually found the problem was in the timing
circuits -- it's running a cycle now; we'll see if it completes and
unlocks ...

Well, crapola...it completed the cycle but the door lock solenoid won't
engage to unlock the door...

So, tomorrow means more probing -- at least there's been progress and a
symptom to troubleshoot...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

dpb wrote:

Anyway, I think I've actually found the problem was in the timing
circuits -- it's running a cycle now; we'll see if it completes and
unlocks ...

Well, crapola...it completed the cycle but the door lock solenoid won't
engage to unlock the door...

So, tomorrow means more probing -- at least there's been progress and a
symptom to troubleshoot...

It's had enough time to cool down? They normally don't unlock for a
while until the temp is down to sane levels.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:
dpb wrote:

Anyway, I think I've actually found the problem was in the timing
circuits -- it's running a cycle now; we'll see if it completes and
unlocks ...

Well, crapola...it completed the cycle but the door lock solenoid won't
engage to unlock the door...

So, tomorrow means more probing -- at least there's been progress and a
symptom to troubleshoot...

It's had enough time to cool down? They normally don't unlock for a
while until the temp is down to sane levels.

Yeah, the "door lock" light is off which is when temperature drops below
the magic setpoint.

Seems there's a problem getting juice to the solenoid though, anyway.
At least while it's not working I can trace back which portion of the
logic isn't functional or discover if the solenoid is intermittently
faulty. That'll be a bummer--that's one part that I've not been able to
locate replacement for if it is...

It would surely be nice to have the schematic, though, rather than
tracing through all the logic and relay contacts manually...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:

Yeah, the "door lock" light is off which is when temperature drops below
the magic setpoint.

Seems there's a problem getting juice to the solenoid though, anyway. At
least while it's not working I can trace back which portion of the logic
isn't functional or discover if the solenoid is intermittently faulty.
That'll be a bummer--that's one part that I've not been able to locate
replacement for if it is...

Well, guess there's something flaky w/ the temperature sensor -- later
on, it unlocked fine. I guess for the time being I'll just let it go
and see. Maybe put a thermocouple inside next time and snake it out the
exhaust vent; I think there's a small path beside the fan that is
accessible that could be used.

Again, thanks for the input/help w/ the GE site...