Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Tub Cover Full of Water

I have owned a hot tub for a few years and it has been my experience
that I am having to replace the hot tub cover because it gets full of
water and extremely heavy. Any suggestions on how to prevent this
from happening or on how to prolong the effect? It seems like we need
to replace the cover every 2 to 3 years.
Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trax" wrote in message
I have owned a hot tub for a few years and it has been my experience
that I am having to replace the hot tub cover because it gets full of
water and extremely heavy. Any suggestions on how to prevent this
from happening or on how to prolong the effect? It seems like we need
to replace the cover every 2 to 3 years.
Thanks!

I built my own cover our of 3" urethane foam and fiberglass. That, and a 1/2"
ethafoam layer between it and the tub, which isolates it from the humid heat of
the water seems to last well. It's over 15 years old now. The ethafoam layer
could help with the commercial covers also. I got that at a "foam shop". The
heavier blue stuf lasts a lot longer than the cheaper white stuff with the
chlorine exposure.

When you lay the first glass cloth, make it the bottom. Support the edges on
bricks or 2x4 chunks, and the center will droop. The result, when it is turned
over, is a slightly dome shaped cover so the water runs off when it rains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 1:07*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"trax" wrote in message

[...]

I bought a replacement cover online that was made to my specs from a
place in TX about 6 years ago. It's still doing OK, but it is
starting to get heavier. The original one lasted twice that long,
but it was indoor for 10 years, which I think makes a big
difference. Outside with cold temps, you get more condensation that
eventually water logs them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We had a spa that was used year round for about 8 years without a problem
with the cover. Maybe it depends on both the core material and the
exterior covering. It never absorbed water.

Wayne

On Fri 21 Nov 2008 11:24:52p, Steve Barker DLT told us...

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 11(XI)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
5dys 3mins
A millennium is like a centennial, only it has more legs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trax" wrote in message
I have owned a hot tub for a few years and it has been my experience
that I am having to replace the hot tub cover because it gets full of
water and extremely heavy. Any suggestions on how to prevent this
from happening or on how to prolong the effect? It seems like we need
to replace the cover every 2 to 3 years.
Thanks!

Stitched vinyl cover over something porous will do that. (At least on
the few covers I have seen.) Boat cushions and old kapok life vests we
had in my youth did the same thing. My BIL, on his retro wooden
wood-fired hot tub, just buys a sheet of blue foamboard every year for
20 bucks, and weighs it down with brick chunks. Not pretty, but
effective. I think I told him he should go with foil-skinned style next
year, to cut down on the UV breakdown, and that an RV store probably has
some sort of plastic edging that could dress up the cut edges of the
circle to keep the crumbs from flaking off. High-quality aluminum
furnace tape, applied when the foam was brand new, would probably work
as well. A couple long bungee cords would keep it from blowing away
unless wind was strong enough to actually break it up. Or even a couple
smooth 2x2s that fit into decorative wood handles around the edges,
which would also make it easier to get in and out of his climb-in tub.

I oughta make up a spec sheet and a sketch, and send it to him, while I
am thinking about it....

Of course, if cost was no object, a non-folding slab cover dipped in
vinyl (like a pool float or gym workout pad) would probably be rather
waterproof, unless the skin got nicked. It'd take two grownups to get it
on and off, though.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 20:03:36 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

I suspect that most of the water comes from the spa. A vapor proof layer between
the spa and the cover might make a huge difference, if anyone wants to try an
experiment.

There is a vapor proof layer already, Bob. The foam blocks in covers
are wrapped with a layer of poly. That poly breaks down over time and
then the foam starts to retain water. Some manufacturers use better
poly and heat seal it, while others just use a sheet of poly to wrap
it like a christmas present and hold it together with masking tape.
Beyond that, I discovered that some manufactures have an option for
double wrapping the foam with two layers of poly. It's not an
expensive option and it results in a cover that lasts a LOT longer.

"trax" wrote in message
I have owned a hot tub for a few years and it has been my experience
that I am having to replace the hot tub cover because it gets full of
water and extremely heavy. Any suggestions on how to prevent this
from happening or on how to prolong the effect? It seems like we need
to replace the cover every 2 to 3 years.
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

trax wrote:

I have owned a hot tub for a few years and it has been my experience
that I am having to replace the hot tub cover because it gets full of
water and extremely heavy. Any suggestions on how to prevent this
from happening or on how to prolong the effect? It seems like we need
to replace the cover every 2 to 3 years.
Thanks!

I saw a tip for keeping water from collecting in a boat cover. Seems
like a simple solution - keep
and inflated beachball in the boat to support the cover. Got a
beachball in yer tub?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:00:32 -0500, Norminn
you wrote:

trax wrote:

I have owned a hot tub for a few years and it has been my experience
that I am having to replace the hot tub cover because it gets full of
water and extremely heavy. Any suggestions on how to prevent this
from happening or on how to prolong the effect? It seems like we need
to replace the cover every 2 to 3 years.
Thanks!

I saw a tip for keeping water from collecting in a boat cover. Seems
like a simple solution - keep
and inflated beachball in the boat to support the cover. Got a
beachball in yer tub?

Hot tub covers are stiff and at least 3" thick. There's nothing to
"hold up". Many of them are now made strong enough for people
to stand on them. A beach ball isn't going to do anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
trax wrote:

I have owned a hot tub for a few years and it has been my experience
that I am having to replace the hot tub cover because it gets full of
water and extremely heavy. Any suggestions on how to prevent this
from happening or on how to prolong the effect? It seems like we need
to replace the cover every 2 to 3 years.
Thanks!

I saw a tip for keeping water from collecting in a boat cover. Seems
like a simple solution - keep
and inflated beachball in the boat to support the cover. Got a
beachball in yer tub?

Not that kind of cover. Hot tubs usually have a slab-style cover made of
vinyl-covered foam, to keep the hot water hot longer, so you don't burn
up quite all the gas or electric heating from scratch every time you use
it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

you wrote:

trax wrote:

I have owned a hot tub for a few years and it has been my experience
that I am having to replace the hot tub cover because it gets full of
water and extremely heavy. Any suggestions on how to prevent this

from happening or on how to prolong the effect? It seems like we need

to replace the cover every 2 to 3 years.
Thanks!

I saw a tip for keeping water from collecting in a boat cover. Seems
like a simple solution - keep
and inflated beachball in the boat to support the cover. Got a
beachball in yer tub?

Hot tub covers are stiff and at least 3" thick. There's nothing to
"hold up". Many of them are now made strong enough for people
to stand on them. A beach ball isn't going to do anything.

Forgive my hot tub naivete ...... I thought they had tarp covers )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 23 Nov 2008 12:11:21p, Norminn told us...

you wrote:

trax wrote:

I have owned a hot tub for a few years and it has been my experience
that I am having to replace the hot tub cover because it gets full of
water and extremely heavy. Any suggestions on how to prevent this

from happening or on how to prolong the effect? It seems like we need

to replace the cover every 2 to 3 years.
Thanks!

I saw a tip for keeping water from collecting in a boat cover. Seems
like a simple solution - keep
and inflated beachball in the boat to support the cover. Got a
beachball in yer tub?

Hot tub covers are stiff and at least 3" thick. There's nothing to
"hold up". Many of them are now made strong enough for people
to stand on them. A beach ball isn't going to do anything.

Forgive my hot tub naivete ...... I thought they had tarp covers )

If you have never had one, there’s no reason you would know. The covers
are constructed that way to provide insulation and hold the heat in, as
much as for simply covering the tub to prevent evaporation and debris.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Sunday, 11(XI)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
3dys 11hrs 5mins
'Careful, we don't want to learn from this.' - Calvin

Posted to alt.home.repair

you wrote:

trax wrote:

[...]

And the cover holds water because...............it melts and sags?
Doesn't have a shape that naturally
lets water run off?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 23 Nov 2008 01:17:40p, Norminn told us...

you wrote:

trax wrote:

[...]

The foam core is covered (sometimes well sealed) in a plastic film to
prevent water absorption. The core is then wrapped in the outside covering
which is usually a heavy upholstery type vinyl. Nothing generally melts,
but the plastic film often deteriorates over time and the foam core will
then absorb water, which then becomes quite heavy and will cause sagging.
The covers usually fold in halves or thirds, depending on the size and are
most often flat.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Sunday, 11(XI)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
3dys 10hrs 42mins
Homosexuality is the best all around cover an agent ever had.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:11:21 -0500, Norminn
you wrote:

snip

Hot tub covers are stiff and at least 3" thick. There's nothing to
"hold up". Many of them are now made strong enough for people
to stand on them. A beach ball isn't going to do anything.

Forgive my hot tub naivete ...... I thought they had tarp covers )

no biggie. Unfortunately, the life span is usually between 3-5 years
depending on it's initial quality, exposure to the elements etc.

They can be quite expensive as well. We just replaced ours and it was
$400 (7'x7'). The covers are thick so that they insulate the water
and prevent it from getting cold. Most hot tubs are used more
extensively in the winter so keeping a hot tub at 102-105F can be
quite expensive if you don't have a cover that keeps the heat in.

The problem arises when the condensation creeps into the insulating
foam. The foam, over time, then absorbs the water and when that
happens, it become one massive, heavy (think 100+lbs) PITA to
try and wrestle around. That's usually the primary reason that people
replace their covers. Not so much that it's *broken* as it is the
foam is no longer protected from the evaporating water.

I've heard of people actually unzipping the outside protective cover
and taking out the foam inserts and covering them with waterproof
sealants but I have no idea on their success doing so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I suspect that most of the water comes from the spa. A vapor proof layer
between
the spa and the cover might make a huge difference, if anyone wants to try an
experiment.

There is a vapor proof layer already, Bob. The foam blocks in covers
are wrapped with a layer of poly. That poly breaks down over time and
then the foam starts to retain water. Some manufacturers use better
poly and heat seal it, while others just use a sheet of poly to wrap
it like a christmas present and hold it together with masking tape.
Beyond that, I discovered that some manufactures have an option for
double wrapping the foam with two layers of poly. It's not an
expensive option and it results in a cover that lasts a LOT longer.

So adding your own replaceable layer should make a difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I suspect that most of the water comes from the spa. A vapor proof layer
between
the spa and the cover might make a huge difference, if anyone wants to try an
experiment.

There is a vapor proof layer already, Bob. The foam blocks in covers
are wrapped with a layer of poly. That poly breaks down over time and
then the foam starts to retain water. Some manufacturers use better
poly and heat seal it, while others just use a sheet of poly to wrap
it like a christmas present and hold it together with masking tape.
Beyond that, I discovered that some manufactures have an option for
double wrapping the foam with two layers of poly. It's not an
expensive option and it results in a cover that lasts a LOT longer.

So adding your own replaceable layer should make a difference.

If the cover comes off the foam, removing it during the summer, remove the
deteriorateing waterproof layer and letting it dry out in the sun, then adding a
new waterproof layer might lengthen its life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 19:53:50 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I suspect that most of the water comes from the spa. A vapor proof layer
between
the spa and the cover might make a huge difference, if anyone wants to try an
experiment.

There is a vapor proof layer already, Bob. The foam blocks in covers
are wrapped with a layer of poly. That poly breaks down over time and
then the foam starts to retain water. Some manufacturers use better
poly and heat seal it, while others just use a sheet of poly to wrap
it like a christmas present and hold it together with masking tape.
Beyond that, I discovered that some manufactures have an option for
double wrapping the foam with two layers of poly. It's not an
expensive option and it results in a cover that lasts a LOT longer.

So adding your own replaceable layer should make a difference.

Actually, I'm not sure that it would be nearly as effective. The
wrapping for the foam blocks is a large bag with only one opening,
which gets sealed. In my case, there is a bag over a bag, put on from
opposite directions and then sealed. A "layer" would not really do as
much to protect the blocks from absorbing moisture. It might help a
little, though. Double wrapped from the factory seems to be the cheap,
easy, and reliable fix for the problem. Not sure I'd want to have to
deal with a seperate sheet of something everytime I opened or closed
the spa. That sounds like an ongoing nuisance to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 19:53:50 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Mine is attached to the bottom of the lid. It lifts with the lid. It is all
hinged with a hydraulic lift to open it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Norminn, tobyharvey wrote:
Spacoverspot is best place, they provide the best quality hot tub covers & Spa
covers at reasonable prices.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-343167-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.slack

SOME DIP**** SAYS:
Spacoverspot is best place, they provide the best quality hot tub covers
& Spa
covers at reasonable prices.

All them hot tubs are just bull****e crap for yuppies.
Real men would never be caught dead in a hot tub, except this BrennASS
feller, who's queer as a goat.
LOL