Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Hot Tub Cover Full of Water

"trax" wrote in message
I have owned a hot tub for a few years and it has been my experience
that I am having to replace the hot tub cover because it gets full of
water and extremely heavy. Any suggestions on how to prevent this
from happening or on how to prolong the effect? It seems like we need
to replace the cover every 2 to 3 years.
Thanks!

I built my own cover our of 3" urethane foam and fiberglass. That, and a 1/2"
ethafoam layer between it and the tub, which isolates it from the humid heat of
the water seems to last well. It's over 15 years old now. The ethafoam layer
could help with the commercial covers also. I got that at a "foam shop". The
heavier blue stuf lasts a lot longer than the cheaper white stuff with the
chlorine exposure.

When you lay the first glass cloth, make it the bottom. Support the edges on
bricks or 2x4 chunks, and the center will droop. The result, when it is turned
over, is a slightly dome shaped cover so the water runs off when it rains.