Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Hot Tub Cover Full of Water

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
ours also lasted almost 3 years before it weighed about a ton. The Hot
Springs guy said it's normal. I don't know how the hell it gets in
though.....

"trax" wrote in message
I have owned a hot tub for a few years and it has been my experience
that I am having to replace the hot tub cover because it gets full of
water and extremely heavy. Any suggestions on how to prevent this
from happening or on how to prolong the effect? It seems like we need
to replace the cover every 2 to 3 years.
Thanks!

Stitched vinyl cover over something porous will do that. (At least on
the few covers I have seen.) Boat cushions and old kapok life vests we
had in my youth did the same thing. My BIL, on his retro wooden
wood-fired hot tub, just buys a sheet of blue foamboard every year for
20 bucks, and weighs it down with brick chunks. Not pretty, but
effective. I think I told him he should go with foil-skinned style next
year, to cut down on the UV breakdown, and that an RV store probably has
some sort of plastic edging that could dress up the cut edges of the
circle to keep the crumbs from flaking off. High-quality aluminum
furnace tape, applied when the foam was brand new, would probably work
as well. A couple long bungee cords would keep it from blowing away
unless wind was strong enough to actually break it up. Or even a couple
smooth 2x2s that fit into decorative wood handles around the edges,
which would also make it easier to get in and out of his climb-in tub.

I oughta make up a spec sheet and a sketch, and send it to him, while I
am thinking about it....

Of course, if cost was no object, a non-folding slab cover dipped in
vinyl (like a pool float or gym workout pad) would probably be rather
waterproof, unless the skin got nicked. It'd take two grownups to get it
on and off, though.

--
aem sends...