Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Mobile home construction?

I've been asked to mount an antenna and pole on the side of a mobile home.

I'm pretty familiar with traditional (non-mobile) home construction, but I
have no experience with this form of design.

Where are frame members located (every 16 / 24 inches)? What size are they
(2x4 / 2x2)? Is exterior sheet metal attached directly to frame?

I've searched the web and found some information, but nothing describing
framing and general construction of these homes.

Any and all details of general design of this kind of home would be greatly
appreciated, as will www pointers.

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
I've been asked to mount an antenna and pole on the side of a mobile home.

I'm pretty familiar with traditional (non-mobile) home construction, but I
have no experience with this form of design.

Where are frame members located (every 16 / 24 inches)? What size are they
(2x4 / 2x2)? Is exterior sheet metal attached directly to frame?

I've searched the web and found some information, but nothing describing
framing and general construction of these homes.

Any and all details of general design of this kind of home would be
greatly
appreciated, as will www pointers.

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

they're all different. you might have to take an interior panel off and look

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

DaveC wrote:
I've been asked to mount an antenna and pole on the side of a mobile home.

I'm pretty familiar with traditional (non-mobile) home construction, but I
have no experience with this form of design.

Where are frame members located (every 16 / 24 inches)? What size are they
(2x4 / 2x2)? Is exterior sheet metal attached directly to frame?

I've searched the web and found some information, but nothing describing
framing and general construction of these homes.

Any and all details of general design of this kind of home would be greatly
appreciated, as will www pointers.

Thanks,

1. Try over in the rec.radio groups- the real experts live over there.
2. I would not mount the pole ON the mobile home, I'd drop it over a
piece of rebar pounded into the ground right beside it, preferably with
a crush-resistant brick that the rebar can stick through under it, to
keep the bottom of pole from rusting. I would then tie it off to the
mobile home right below the roof edging with an appropriate standoff or
fabricated bracket. If the antenna has a large sail area, I would
strongly consider bolting the standoff to a pressure-treated 2x8
fastened to the wall, and maybe through-bolting that plate to a matching
plain 2x8 on the inside, hidden in a closet or bookcase or something. It
all depend how the thing was framed, which is largely a function of how
old it is. Older ones often did have 2x3 mini-studs, newer ones use 2x4
or 2x6. How thick is the wall right by the front door? That will tell
you how it is framed. The usual methods of finding a stud apply.
3. The above is how I told our onsite people to mount the 2-way radio
antennas on our office trailers over in the sandbox, where wind can be
a problem. They have all held on so far, as far as I know.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
DaveC wrote:
[...]

Remember how my dad mounted the TV antenna. He dug a post hole about 4 feet
deep, and put a galvanized pipe in the hole. Pipe stuck out of the ground
about 4". Poured concrete around it. Got a long galvanized pipe of smaller
diameter and mounted the TV antenna on it and wired it. Stuck the long pipe
inside the pipe in the ground. Drilled a hole in the pipe in the ground and
threaded the hole. Stuck a galvanized bolt in the hole, was used to lock
the long pipe from turning.

I don't know the pipe diameters. I do know the piping was relatively thick.
Water finally ate out the piping at the ground level where the one pipe sat
inside the other, lasted for 35 years as I recall.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

When I moved in, there was already antenna mast. However, my limited
experience with one trailer. The exterior aluminum is pretty thin. You can
find the studs by just walking along, and pushing on the aluminum. You can
feel them. Studs may be 2 x 3 inch, so 2 or 2 1/2 lag bolts can be used.
Drill pilot holes, of course. Stud spacing? Not sure. External sheet metal
is typically screwed to the studs. So, screw heads may help you locate the
studs.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
I've been asked to mount an antenna and pole on the side of a mobile home.

I'm pretty familiar with traditional (non-mobile) home construction, but I
have no experience with this form of design.

Where are frame members located (every 16 / 24 inches)? What size are they
(2x4 / 2x2)? Is exterior sheet metal attached directly to frame?

I've searched the web and found some information, but nothing describing
framing and general construction of these homes.

Any and all details of general design of this kind of home would be greatly
appreciated, as will www pointers.

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
I've been asked to mount an antenna and pole on the side of a mobile home.

Don't.

I would bury a 4" wooden post next to the mobile home and fix it to that.