Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Mobile home construction?

DaveC wrote:
I've been asked to mount an antenna and pole on the side of a mobile home.

I'm pretty familiar with traditional (non-mobile) home construction, but I
have no experience with this form of design.

Where are frame members located (every 16 / 24 inches)? What size are they
(2x4 / 2x2)? Is exterior sheet metal attached directly to frame?

I've searched the web and found some information, but nothing describing
framing and general construction of these homes.

Any and all details of general design of this kind of home would be greatly
appreciated, as will www pointers.

Thanks,

1. Try over in the rec.radio groups- the real experts live over there.
2. I would not mount the pole ON the mobile home, I'd drop it over a
piece of rebar pounded into the ground right beside it, preferably with
a crush-resistant brick that the rebar can stick through under it, to
keep the bottom of pole from rusting. I would then tie it off to the
mobile home right below the roof edging with an appropriate standoff or
fabricated bracket. If the antenna has a large sail area, I would
strongly consider bolting the standoff to a pressure-treated 2x8
fastened to the wall, and maybe through-bolting that plate to a matching
plain 2x8 on the inside, hidden in a closet or bookcase or something. It
all depend how the thing was framed, which is largely a function of how
old it is. Older ones often did have 2x3 mini-studs, newer ones use 2x4
or 2x6. How thick is the wall right by the front door? That will tell
you how it is framed. The usual methods of finding a stud apply.
3. The above is how I told our onsite people to mount the 2-way radio
antennas on our office trailers over in the sandbox, where wind can be
a problem. They have all held on so far, as far as I know.

--
aem sends...