Posted to balt.general,misc,consumers,alt.home.repair

Default Your Preference: Laminate Vs Wood In Bathroom Cabinets

Comments, please.
Posted to balt.general,misc,consumers,alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:
Comments, please.

Shelves? Floor? Door? Walls? Storage?

Posted to balt.general,misc,consumers,alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Jack wrote:
Comments, please.

Shelves? Floor? Door? Walls? Storage?

Cabinets.

Posted to balt.general,misc,consumers,alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:

Comments, please.

I would have only a good laminate. Wood might be okay if the cabinets have
flat-panel doors with no joints on outside, the reason being eventual
seepage
of moisture (splatters and condensation) that will damage wood and finish.
Posted to balt.general,misc,consumers,alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Jack wrote:
Comments, please.

Shelves? Floor? Door? Walls? Storage?

In a house with males, especially young ones, a wood vanity within
splash zone of the toilet is not a good idea.

(If I were to spec out a low-upkeep house where cost was no object, the
kid and husband bath would be all tile with a floor drain, like a locker
room.)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any HVAC experts in the house?

I have a relative who just bought a home and is having problems with
her heat pump.

Equipment is Rheem
Outside Model RPMB-036JAZ
Inside Unit RCHJ-36A2AS21

In cool mode the unit seems to work fine.

In heat mode the compressor runs for about a minute and trips the over
pressure button. I don't have gauges but you can tell from the sound
the compressor is making that is working harder and harder until it
clicks out on over pressure.

Filters are clean, fans are running and warm air is being circulated
for the brief moment the compressor is on.

Does this sound like a common problem that a resident expert could
say "It's probably part X and you can expect to spend around $$$ to
fix it?

I don't have the knowledge or tools to fix it. Money is a little
tight for her after just making a down payment and moving. Also we
all live in the Clearwater FL area so heat isn't a show stopper like
it is in other parts of the country. Basically I am just hoping to
get enough info to tell her to find a good HVAC guy or to tell her it
probably isn't worth spending the money on and to just use a couple of
space heaters as need be.

Thanx for any advice you can offer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Living in NY, we don't have many heat pumps. However, the most expensive
part of the system (compressor) is still working. I'd suggest to get out
the yellow pages, and call a couple of the companies with smaller ads.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

More backgroound info would be helpful-- did this problem just start
this fall, anything done to the unit during the summer etc? An
overcharge will cause this problem, as will lower than normal air flow
across the indoor coil. FWIW, on Rheem/Ruud heat pumps these seem to be
more critical than on some other brands. Granted, part of this is the
fact that a lot of others don't even have a high pressure c/o and many
of the ones that do have have one that is auto reset, but regardless
IMO, they are still a little more finicky than others. I doubt that
there are any parts in the unit that are defective, but w/o being there
anything is just a guess. If by chance refrigerant was added this past
cooling season, overcharge is likely. If that is the case, talk to the
company and explain the details-- if they are a reputable outfit, they
should come back and check it out , and if that is indeed the problem,
fix it at no charge. I know the company I'm with would. Good luck Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B. wrote:

[...]

If you had a real email addy, I could send some useful information
about the area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:25:26 -0500, Bubba
wrote:

Sorry but you will need an expert.
You could have an overcharged system.
You may have a metering device or expansion valve problem.
Your high pressure switch could be weak and tripping when it shouldnt
Your system could be mismatched (coils).
Your indoor fan might not be moving enough air in heat mode
Its certainly worth having a "good" tech come in and at least find the
problem.
Bubba

Thanx, I will let her know to know to find someone. I was hoping
this would be the answer instead of finding out it wasn't even worth
trying.

Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:
Comments, please.

I have yet to see a laminate cabinet that doesn't look cheap. Would be
(and is) wood for me
Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:
Comments, please.

Chrome/stainless and glass for me, thanks. Bathrooms, esp. in older
houses, tend to be pretty humid places. Given your choices, though,
definitely solid wood for the same reasons. Delaminating laminate looks
like, well, you know.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 06:08:07 -0600, Chris wrote:

Jack wrote:
Comments, please.

I have yet to see a laminate cabinet that doesn't look cheap. Would be
(and is) wood for me

Either one. I'd definately look for the prefinished (inside and out)
stock--costs a little more but you're project will complete faster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 00:30:54 -0500, Steve B. wrote:

I have a relative who just bought a home and is having problems with
her heat pump.

Equipment is Rheem
Outside Model RPMB-036JAZ
Inside Unit RCHJ-36A2AS21

In cool mode the unit seems to work fine.

In heat mode the compressor runs for about a minute and trips the over
pressure button. I don't have gauges but you can tell from the sound
the compressor is making that is working harder and harder until it
clicks out on over pressure.

Sounds to me like the outdoor checkvalve or metering device is
restricted. If that was the problem in this neck of the woods it's
going to cost close to $1000.00 to fix (recover refrigerant, sweat out
old fitting, install new fitting, install line drier, pull vacum to
500 microns, weigh in factory specified refrigerant charge) . Not
worth it if the system is over ten years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B. wrote:
[...]

The part numbers indicate a three ton unit. A problem
that crops up with heat pumps every now and then is a
sticking reversing valve. Someone has already mentioned
a clogged orifice and a bad check valve but the culprit
may be the reversing valve and the darn things are a
real chore to replace.

http://www.toad.net/~jsmeenen/reverse.html

http://www.dhclimatecontrol.com/hp.htm

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

THESE EXPERTS diagnosed mine and I replaced the start capacitor (first
service guy/call said I needed a new motor @ $ 230) for $ 2.57
Been working fine since. You'll have a lot of Q&A from previous events to
read over and several HVAC guys to choose from to ask YOUR question

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Heating-A...ditioning-696/

Posted to balt.general,misc,consumers,alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:
Comments, please.

Wood in bathroom cabinets because I like wood better.