Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Any HVAC experts in the house?

Steve B. wrote:

I have a relative who just bought a home and is having problems with
her heat pump.

Equipment is Rheem
Outside Model RPMB-036JAZ
Inside Unit RCHJ-36A2AS21

In cool mode the unit seems to work fine.

In heat mode the compressor runs for about a minute and trips the over
pressure button. I don't have gauges but you can tell from the sound
the compressor is making that is working harder and harder until it
clicks out on over pressure.

Filters are clean, fans are running and warm air is being circulated
for the brief moment the compressor is on.

Does this sound like a common problem that a resident expert could
say "It's probably part X and you can expect to spend around $$$ to
fix it?

I don't have the knowledge or tools to fix it. Money is a little
tight for her after just making a down payment and moving. Also we
all live in the Clearwater FL area so heat isn't a show stopper like
it is in other parts of the country. Basically I am just hoping to
get enough info to tell her to find a good HVAC guy or to tell her it
probably isn't worth spending the money on and to just use a couple of
space heaters as need be.

Thanx for any advice you can offer.

If you had a real email addy, I could send some useful information
about the area.