Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Faint natural gas oder outside?

We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Goldlexus wrote:
We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

If there's a small leak, it could turn into a big leak.

Call the gas company. They have (I'm told) very sophisticated "sniffer"
devices that can find the source. I think the sniffer device may be called
'Beagle,' but I'm not sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

I agree with call the gas company. I had to do that one time but they didn't
find anything. They told me some plants can give off an odor similar to the
chemical in natural gas.

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goldlexus wrote:

We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

Call the gas company NOW. They take gas leaks very seriously, and
they'll send out a technician right away.

The technician will have the tools to track down the leak. You might be
saving your neighbor's life--or yours.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

Since it's been this long, maybe call about 9 Am tomorrow. Anyhow, the gas
company will want to know. If nothing else, they are losing salable product.
They could be selling that natural gas, instead of leaking it out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SteveBell" wrote in message

Call the gas company NOW. They take gas leaks very seriously, and
they'll send out a technician right away.

The technician will have the tools to track down the leak. You might be
saving your neighbor's life--or yours.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goldlexus wrote:
We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

Probably nothing, but better safe than sorry. Gas company will use their
electronic nose thing to scout out all the usual likely culprits. Within
limits, they will be happy to come and check for free- cheap insurance
for them. Any defective item, they will disconnect and red-tag.
(repair/replacement is your problem.) This time of year, always a good
idea to check all exterior vents (roof and walls) for bird nests, clumps
of leaves, etc. Gas fireplaces and outdoor grills are a common leak
location, if the shutoff valve is getting sloppy. Even when you aren't
using your gas appliances, the gas is still running to them. Older
appliances have a pilot light, which usually burns off any minor
leakage, but newer ones with electronic igniters may leak a little if
the valve thingy is dirty or broken.

BTW, what you smell isn't the gas- that is odorless. You are smelling
mercaptan (sp?), the stuff they add to make it stink, so you will notice
leaks.

Or, it could just be a backed-up sewer line, coming up through a vent
stack....

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Since it's been this long, maybe call about 9 Am tomorrow. Anyhow,
the gas company will want to know. If nothing else, they are losing
salable product. They could be selling that natural gas, instead of
leaking it out.

Unless the leak is on the customer side of the meter...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 10:35�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Since it's been this long, maybe call about 9 Am tomorrow. Anyhow,
the gas company will want to know. If nothing else, they are losing
salable product. They could be selling that natural gas, instead of
leaking it out.

Unless the leak is on the customer side of the meter...

gas leaks can be very serious. near where I grew up, there was a high
pressure gas transmission line that blew up, killed 6 people, changed
the area forever.

a old neighbor had gas smell in his basement. but had no leaks hmself.

tracked to gas leaking from bottom of hill 1/2 mile away, getting into
sewer line, gas is lighter than air so it went uphill, till it reached
a small crack in sewer line, and got in his basement.

gas company will be happy to check for free, if its your line leaking
you will have to pay for repairs which is way better than having a
explosion and possible deaths
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I will call in the morning. At this point we are not smelling the odor
at all. It is frustrating. It is so random. We smell it in the
backyard mostly which is not where the gas meter is or the gas line we
don't even have neighbors in the back of us just on each side. I am
afraid it is going to be like taking your car into the mechanics for a
noise but when at the mechanics the car doesn't make the noise but
better safe than sorry I suppose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 6:53*pm, Goldlexus wrote:
We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

If you smell gas there may be a leak but dont bet on the gas co
finding it, or even realy caring. 3 times at different locations I
have had the gas co give up on first trys to find small leaks, I had
to get them back out to eventualy locate them, My nose is more
sensitive than their eletronic sniffers, I have alot of plants and
never smelled one that smelled like Mercaptin. A septic and sewer can
smell similar. This time of year in many areas presure is boosted by
the gas co, they do it evey fall across the street from me. This could
leak more gas before the ground freezes and you are inside all
winter. Walk around when no wind and try to find the strongest area
of smell for them to look, I hope it not under a nice tree.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
Goldlexus wrote:
We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

Plenty of other good posts. As said already: Do call the gas company.
I have an interesting story.
Same deal - faint odor.
Called gas company. Quick response. Had a sniffer.
No luck finding a leak in the house or at the meter area.
Tech sees a pipe going into the ground. "What's that for?"
"Goes to the gas grill over there"
Tech takes a cigarette lighter and ignites the the leak at ground level
where the pipe had rusted out!!
We capped the pipe.

Lou

ummm... that's kind of scary. what if the gas pressure had dropped off
while he was doing his thing with the lighter?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:53:24 -0800 (PST), Goldlexus
wrote:

We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

There is a concern when flammable material is nearby. Contact your
gas company. They have detectors and will take care of it without
charge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Tech takes a cigarette lighter and ignites the the leak at ground
level where the pipe had rusted out!!
We capped the pipe.

Lou

ummm... that's kind of scary. what if the gas pressure had dropped off
while he was doing his thing with the lighter?

nate

The flame would go out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

The newer hand held detectors have sensitivity that would only be
available in a lab in the past and can literally sense a few molecules
of gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Call the gas company. I had the same thing --very vague, sometimes I
smelled it and other times I didn't. I waited forever and then finally
called. It turned out to be an undeground gas pipe on the outside of my
house. They had to dig it up, dig up the street, replace the line going to
my house and the house across the street, install a new shutoff meter for
both of us, etc.

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
LouB wrote:
Goldlexus wrote:
[...]

I have no idea, but he was from the gas company.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 7:53*pm, Goldlexus wrote:
We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

Had sinilar problem look for 6 months even had gas company out twice.
Finally gas man with tester found a leah behind the gas meter. It did
not show until he tilted it away from the wall. Replaced meter and no
longer have a problem. LOOK AT METER.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

wrote:

We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

When we had a hot tub and were sitting outside in the winter, we would
periodically smell that additive (you're not smelling the natural gas,
you're smelling the chemical additive that the utility company puts in
it to make it detectable for the human nose), and we realized it was
our own gas furnace kicking in: the exhaust (high efficiency) was to
the side of the house perpendicular to the hot tub, and the west wind
would bring it around for us to enjoy. We had it checked out, and
learned there was nothing to worry about, if this is the kind of
exhaust you have (side vent, not up through the old chimney).
Posted to alt.home.repair
Li Li is offline

In hard to find cases, many gas companies are now using GasFind IR FLIR
equipment to locate leaks. You can literally see a leak with this stuff.
We use them at the plants to check for leaks.

"George" wrote in message
ransley wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message

ransley wrote:
[...]

gas.- Hide quoted text -

had a home explode, totally leveled, when i was groing up. several
streets away, had debris in our yard.

it may be nothing but it could be critical.

not long ago in pittsburgh a cable crew hit a gas line, and left the
area never reported it to anyone,.

a couple hours later a family came home, and detonated their home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you have outside cats? Sometimes their feces has an oder like N.G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goldlexus wrote:
We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

For years many people complained about the odor
of natural gas whenever I was around. I finally
discovered the source and took corrective action.

http://www.flat-d.com/flatdpremium.html

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought most gas company guys knew not to search leaks with a lighter or
fire? Guess not. Most of them using this techniqe have already blown
themselves up.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
LouB wrote:

Plenty of other good posts. As said already: Do call the gas company.
I have an interesting story.
Same deal - faint odor.
Called gas company. Quick response. Had a sniffer.
No luck finding a leak in the house or at the meter area.
Tech sees a pipe going into the ground. "What's that for?"
"Goes to the gas grill over there"
Tech takes a cigarette lighter and ignites the the leak at ground level
where the pipe had rusted out!!
We capped the pipe.

Lou

ummm... that's kind of scary. what if the gas pressure had dropped off
while he was doing his thing with the lighter?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Worse, is when the pressure comes back, and the burning gas is still
burning.

Anyhow, capping the line to the gas grill is one option. Replace the rusted
section of pipe is another option.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"George" wrote in message
Nate Nagel wrote:

Tech takes a cigarette lighter and ignites the the leak at ground
level where the pipe had rusted out!!
We capped the pipe.

Lou

ummm... that's kind of scary. what if the gas pressure had dropped off
while he was doing his thing with the lighter?

nate

The flame would go out?

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

Such was the case in my neighborhood for a number of years. It was gas
leaking into the air from the underground gas lines. The lines were very
old and started leaking. The Gas Co. fix was to drill holes into the street
at various locations, where the smell was the worst, in order to allow the
gas to escape into the atmosphere. Finally, after it got too bad to deal
with, the Gas Co. installed new, small diameter plastic, lines snaking them
right through the center of the old ones. Good bye smell.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 17, 12:24*pm, "MLD" wrote:

[...]

check for carpenter ant infestation in your house's frame......
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of

Two gas company servicemen, a senior training supervisor and a young
trainee, were out checking meters in a suburban neighborhood. They
parked their truck at the end of the alley and worked their way to the
other end. At the last house a woman looking out her kitchen window
watched the two men as they checked her gas meter. Finishing the meter
check, the senior supervisor challenged his younger coworker to a foot
race down the alley back to the truck to prove that an older guy could
outrun a younger one. As they came running up to the truck, they
realized the lady from that last house was huffing and puffing right
behind them. They stopped and asked her what was wrong. Gasping for
breath, she replied "When I see two gas men running as hard as you two
were, I figured I'd better run too!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Faint natural gas odor outside?

clipped

I will call in the morning. At this point we are not smelling the odor
at all. It is frustrating. It is so random. We smell it in the
backyard mostly which is not where the gas meter is or the gas line we
don't even have neighbors in the back of us just on each side. I am
afraid it is going to be like taking your car into the mechanics for a
noise but when at the mechanics the car doesn't make the noise but
better safe than sorry I suppose.

Did you call the gas company? Even if it isn't now detectable, I would
call (actually, I would have
called as soon as I did detect it). If no response, I would have
checked with the fire department.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Nov 17, 12:24 pm, "MLD" wrote:
"Goldlexus" wrote in message

We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace,water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

A friend of mine just e-mailed me saying that she was feeling very sick
today after inspecting one of her rentals and finding that a stove burner
was left on low, with no flame. Just for the hell of it I googled around a
bit and came up with this page. Rather long but shows that breathing that
stuff is a no bueno. You say that it's outside but then again, how much of
it wafts in when the breeze is in the right direction?
http://www.ask.com/bar?q=Symptoms+of...naturalgas.htm

Somewhere on the page it said this about detectors:
What can families do to help protect themselves?

Purchase a methane detector. Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors
do NOT detect natural gas leaks. Kidde Nighthawk makes an explosive
gas/methane detector for sale at Target. You can also purchase a natural gas
detector online. I have no financial interest in either. Educate yourself
and family on the health symptoms to look out for and never leave a leak
un-repaired.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/19/2008 5:37 PM Forrest said the following:
wrote in message
On Nov 17, 12:24 pm, "MLD" wrote:

"Goldlexus" wrote in message

[...]

Ya think? People commit suicide by placing their heads in an unlit oven
with the gas turned on.

You say that it's outside but then again, how much of
it wafts in when the breeze is in the right direction?
http://www.ask.com/bar?q=Symptoms+of...naturalgas.htm

Somewhere on the page it said this about detectors:
What can families do to help protect themselves?

Purchase a methane detector. Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors
do NOT detect natural gas leaks. Kidde Nighthawk makes an explosive
gas/methane detector for sale at Target. You can also purchase a natural gas
detector online. I have no financial interest in either. Educate yourself
and family on the health symptoms to look out for and never leave a leak
un-repaired.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Goldlexus, Hvac-tech1 wrote:
Did you find out ? I think its these new gas furnaces they are flued out with
pvc and the odor is coming from the flue its faint because it goes away when
the furnace kicks off ! Was that your issue ?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...de-342315-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2017 7:14 AM, Hvac-tech1 wrote:
replying to Goldlexus, Hvac-tech1 wrote:
Did you find out ? I think its these new gas furnaces they are flued out
with
pvc and the odor is coming from the flue its faint because it goes away
when
the furnace kicks off ! Was that your issue ?

We'd ask Goldlexus about that, but the house blew up two weeks after he
posted the question in November 2009! He was never found (unless you
count the one shoe that still had his foot in it)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 8:04:48 AM UTC-6, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 11/27/2017 7:14 AM, Hvac-tech1 wrote:
replying to Goldlexus, Hvac-tech1 wrote:
Did you find out ? I think its these new gas furnaces they are flued out
with
pvc and the odor is coming from the flue its faint because it goes away
when
the furnace kicks off ! Was that your issue ?

We'd ask Goldlexus about that, but the house blew up two weeks after he
posted the question in November 2009! He was never found (unless you
count the one shoe that still had his foot in it)

Some of his 642 gerbils survived. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fuzzy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 9:04:48 AM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 11/27/2017 7:14 AM, Hvac-tech1 wrote:
replying to Goldlexus, Hvac-tech1 wrote:
Did you find out ? I think its these new gas furnaces they are flued out
with
pvc and the odor is coming from the flue its faint because it goes away
when
the furnace kicks off ! Was that your issue ?

We'd ask Goldlexus about that, but the house blew up two weeks after he
posted the question in November 2009! He was never found (unless you
count the one shoe that still had his foot in it)

Just for the record, I have a direct vent furnace, have stood near the
exhaust many times when it's firing and I've never smelled even a whiff
of gas. Been around another one at a friends house, nothing there either.
The whiff we did smell there, we traced down to a leaking gas regulator
at the outside meter. And the OP did state:

"We do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace.
None of which is on when we smell the gas."

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 27 Nov 2017 07:28:45 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Yes, I wish the homeowners crowd would learn to quote the previous post,
even if they have to do it the hard way by copying and pasting.

About a year ago I was walking to a friend's for dinner and noticed a
gas smell at a house 5 doors away, on the corner. A few hours later
while leaving, I noticed the smell then too, still quite weak.. when i
got home I called the gas company, and when I was by there a week or two
later, saw no signs of digging. Didn't talk to the owners or neighbors.