Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Faint natural gas oder outside?

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 27 Nov 2017 07:28:45 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 9:04:48 AM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 11/27/2017 7:14 AM, Hvac-tech1 wrote:
replying to Goldlexus, Hvac-tech1 wrote:
Did you find out ? I think its these new gas furnaces they are flued out
with
pvc and the odor is coming from the flue its faint because it goes away
when
the furnace kicks off ! Was that your issue ?

We'd ask Goldlexus about that, but the house blew up two weeks after he
posted the question in November 2009! He was never found (unless you
count the one shoe that still had his foot in it)

Just for the record, I have a direct vent furnace, have stood near the
exhaust many times when it's firing and I've never smelled even a whiff
of gas. Been around another one at a friends house, nothing there either.
The whiff we did smell there, we traced down to a leaking gas regulator
at the outside meter. And the OP did state:

"We do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace.
None of which is on when we smell the gas."

Yes, I wish the homeowners crowd would learn to quote the previous post,
even if they have to do it the hard way by copying and pasting.

About a year ago I was walking to a friend's for dinner and noticed a
gas smell at a house 5 doors away, on the corner. A few hours later
while leaving, I noticed the smell then too, still quite weak.. when i
got home I called the gas company, and when I was by there a week or two
later, saw no signs of digging. Didn't talk to the owners or neighbors.