Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

Default Faint natural gas oder outside?

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

Such was the case in my neighborhood for a number of years. It was gas
leaking into the air from the underground gas lines. The lines were very
old and started leaking. The Gas Co. fix was to drill holes into the street
at various locations, where the smell was the worst, in order to allow the
gas to escape into the atmosphere. Finally, after it got too bad to deal
with, the Gas Co. installed new, small diameter plastic, lines snaking them
right through the center of the old ones. Good bye smell.
MLD