Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Faint natural gas oder outside?

Goldlexus wrote:
We've been smelling a very faint gas order outside. It comes and goes
so it is hard to locate. We don't smell it inside the house at all. We
do have a gas furnace, water heater, dryer and fireplace. None of
which is on when we smell the gas. Since it isn't a consistent oder I
am not sure if the gas company will be able to locate where it is
coming from. Is it possible to be smelling the unignited gas from a
neighbors furnace? We seem to notice this oder the most during this
time of year. It does make me nervous cause I am not sure if it is
dangerous or how to find out what it is. Should we be concerned?

Probably nothing, but better safe than sorry. Gas company will use their
electronic nose thing to scout out all the usual likely culprits. Within
limits, they will be happy to come and check for free- cheap insurance
for them. Any defective item, they will disconnect and red-tag.
(repair/replacement is your problem.) This time of year, always a good
idea to check all exterior vents (roof and walls) for bird nests, clumps
of leaves, etc. Gas fireplaces and outdoor grills are a common leak
location, if the shutoff valve is getting sloppy. Even when you aren't
using your gas appliances, the gas is still running to them. Older
appliances have a pilot light, which usually burns off any minor
leakage, but newer ones with electronic igniters may leak a little if
the valve thingy is dirty or broken.

BTW, what you smell isn't the gas- that is odorless. You are smelling
mercaptan (sp?), the stuff they add to make it stink, so you will notice
leaks.

Or, it could just be a backed-up sewer line, coming up through a vent
stack....

--
aem sends...