Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Westinghouse stove too old?

My stove is about 35 years old. I never was able to locate the model
number. One of the eyes went out, and I have been using only 3 for
years.

Well my dryer went out, so I called the repairman. He came out and
fixed the dryer, so I had him look at the stove. He said the control
rheostat was bad and they don't make them anymore.

True?
Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
My stove is about 35 years old. I never was able to locate the model
number. One of the eyes went out, and I have been using only 3 for
years.

Well my dryer went out, so I called the repairman. He came out and
fixed the dryer, so I had him look at the stove. He said the control
rheostat was bad and they don't make them anymore.

True?

There could be a universal type replacement control.
I get them all the time for commercial cooking equipment.

http://www.myapplianceparts.com/over...ange_parts.asp

An example for a GE stove has a shaft with break-off cuts to
adjust shaft length. Universal controls are like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/6k7837

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message
My stove is about 35 years old. I never was able to locate the model
number. One of the eyes went out, and I have been using only 3 for
years.

Well my dryer went out, so I called the repairman. He came out and
fixed the dryer, so I had him look at the stove. He said the control
rheostat was bad and they don't make them anymore.

True?

Very possible they are not made. Alternatives are to try a new model that
may also fit, but you have some expense there if you want to experiment.
I'd not invest a lot of money in a stove that old as other parts may go soon
too.

New stove will cost from "$400 to five times that depending on how fancy you
want to get.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:36:05 -0500, metspitzer
wrote:

My stove is about 35 years old. I never was able to locate the model
number. One of the eyes went out, and I have been using only 3 for
years.

Well my dryer went out, so I called the repairman. He came out and
fixed the dryer, so I had him look at the stove. He said the control
rheostat was bad and they don't make them anymore.

True?

Likely. Should have fixed it 3 years ago - MIGHT have been available
then.
Posted to alt.home.repair
PV PV is offline

metspitzer wrote:
My stove is about 35 years old. I never was able to locate the model
number. One of the eyes went out, and I have been using only 3 for
years.

Well my dryer went out, so I called the repairman. He came out and
fixed the dryer, so I had him look at the stove. He said the control
rheostat was bad and they don't make them anymore.

True?

Quite possible, they no longer make elements for my Westinghouse stove that
is 14 years old. However there are "universal" elements available. Check
with a local parts supply house and ask.

--
PV

Do not compute the totality of your poultry population before the
manifestations of incubation have ceased.

William Jennings Bryant