Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Default Screw Won't Budge

It's a brand new mini grease gun. Need to remove a slot screw to
attach a flexible hose. It won't budge. I don't have access to heat
or a vise. Any solutions? Thanks
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 11:53*am, (Restless) wrote:
It's a brand new mini grease gun. *Need to remove a slot screw to
attach a flexible hose. *It won't budge. *I don't have access to heat
or a vise. *Any solutions? *Thanks

Brand new? Return it.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 10, 10:53*am, (Restless) wrote:
It's a brand new mini grease gun. *Need to remove a slot screw to
attach a flexible hose. *It won't budge. *I don't have access to heat
or a vise. *Any solutions? *Thanks

You need an impact screwdriver, like Harbor Freight 92481 or 37530. As
cheap and effective as these tools are, it is amazing that so many
have never seen or heard of them. They are a staple in nearly every
pro mechanic's tool box, especially those that still have to work on
older cars where it the brake drums were often retained by a single
flat head screw. Don't forget the penetrant, and good luck.

Joe

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

In ,
Joe wrote:

On Nov 10, 10:53*am, (Restless) wrote:

It's a brand new mini grease gun. *Need to remove a slot screw to
attach a flexible hose. *It won't budge. *I don't have access to heat
or a vise. *Any solutions? *Thanks

You need an impact screwdriver, like Harbor Freight 92481 or 37530. As
cheap and effective as these tools are, it is amazing that so many
have never seen or heard of them. They are a staple in nearly every
pro mechanic's tool box, especially those that still have to work on
older cars where it the brake drums were often retained by a single
flat head screw. Don't forget the penetrant, and good luck.

As in "Liquid Wrench" or the like - though I wonder how brand new is
something that needs such stuff.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , metspitzer wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 22:01:59 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote and I snip stuff quoted more than thrice

Did you try a screwdriver that actually fits the slot? Or some little
bent, chipped, twisted, rusty thing that you inherited from my father?
Once you have the right driver, put an open-end or adjustable wrench on
the handle (or on the shaft if it's square) for increased torque.

Turn the driver with one hand, and push the driver into the screw with
the other hand and maybe a goodly portion of your body weight. Priority
is to keep the driver from slipping out of the slot. You don't want to
have the driver slip out of the slot and mar the slot into a shape that
lets the driver slip out more easily.

This is a very easy to stab yourself.

Put in a vice or hold it with channel locks.

Yes, I have stabbed myself with screwdrivers a few times!

When without tools to keep the screwdriver from slipping into my body, I
nowadays keep all parts of my body out of the way of a screwdriver
that slips from its target.

Philips ones don't do that often - straight slot screws needing extra
push I consider to be inviting screwdrivers to go wayward and stab or
gouge anything closer to the screw's axis than the screwdriver's length.
(Preferably limited to concrete, dirt, carpet or "beater" workbench
surface)

Sometimes victims of wayward screwdrivers are not parts of your body,
but softer parts of what the screw was in. In that case, the screwdriver
operator may be a victim if the injured property is owned by someone other
than the screwdriver operator. When sufficient proper tools are not
handy, sometimes it gets better to "leave well enough alone".

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
CGB CGB is offline

Default Screw Won't Budge Somethings isn't right

Something's wrong here, folks. A brand new gun shouldn't be like that. I
suspect that other possibilities exist, e.g. left-hand thread, not supposed
to be removed, etc. Before "drilling it out," etc. I think you need to get
some more facts and/or return it. I bet you are overlooking something.

Chet

"Restless" wrote in message
It's a brand new mini grease gun. Need to remove a slot screw to
attach a flexible hose. It won't budge. I don't have access to heat
or a vise. Any solutions? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 10, 5:51*pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
[...]

snip

You wouldn't have hurt yourself with an impact screwdriver. Save the
trip to the emergency room and spend the $7 on one today. Amaze your
friends and neighbors with it when they get into a jam with stubborn
screws. BTW, the impact drivers will handle Phillips with finesse, as
well as Robertson, PosiDrive and Torx and Allen. The latter is well
known to old time Honda motorcycle dudes. Ask one about them.

Joe