Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Screw Won't Budge

On Nov 10, 5:51*pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In article , metspitzer wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 22:01:59 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote and I snip stuff quoted more than thrice

Did you try a screwdriver that actually fits the slot? Or some little
bent, chipped, twisted, rusty thing that you inherited from my father?
Once you have the right driver, put an open-end or adjustable wrench on
the handle (or on the shaft if it's square) for increased torque.

*Turn the driver with one hand, and push the driver into the screw with
the other hand and maybe a goodly portion of your body weight. *Priority
is to keep the driver from slipping out of the slot. *You don't want to
have the driver slip out of the slot and mar the slot into a shape that
lets the driver slip out more easily.

This is a very easy to stab yourself. *

Put in a vice or hold it with channel locks.

* Yes, I have stabbed myself with screwdrivers a few times!

snip

You wouldn't have hurt yourself with an impact screwdriver. Save the
trip to the emergency room and spend the $7 on one today. Amaze your
friends and neighbors with it when they get into a jam with stubborn
screws. BTW, the impact drivers will handle Phillips with finesse, as
well as Robertson, PosiDrive and Torx and Allen. The latter is well
known to old time Honda motorcycle dudes. Ask one about them.

Joe