Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Screw Won't Budge

In article , metspitzer wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 22:01:59 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote and I snip stuff quoted more than thrice

Did you try a screwdriver that actually fits the slot? Or some little
bent, chipped, twisted, rusty thing that you inherited from my father?
Once you have the right driver, put an open-end or adjustable wrench on
the handle (or on the shaft if it's square) for increased torque.

Turn the driver with one hand, and push the driver into the screw with
the other hand and maybe a goodly portion of your body weight. Priority
is to keep the driver from slipping out of the slot. You don't want to
have the driver slip out of the slot and mar the slot into a shape that
lets the driver slip out more easily.

This is a very easy to stab yourself.

Put in a vice or hold it with channel locks.

Yes, I have stabbed myself with screwdrivers a few times!

When without tools to keep the screwdriver from slipping into my body, I
nowadays keep all parts of my body out of the way of a screwdriver
that slips from its target.

Philips ones don't do that often - straight slot screws needing extra
push I consider to be inviting screwdrivers to go wayward and stab or
gouge anything closer to the screw's axis than the screwdriver's length.
(Preferably limited to concrete, dirt, carpet or "beater" workbench
surface)

Sometimes victims of wayward screwdrivers are not parts of your body,
but softer parts of what the screw was in. In that case, the screwdriver
operator may be a victim if the injured property is owned by someone other
than the screwdriver operator. When sufficient proper tools are not
handy, sometimes it gets better to "leave well enough alone".

- Don Klipstein )