Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Disastrous Water Leaks

Most people assume water leaks in the home come from faulty plumbing,
but my experience is different. There was an inline water filter
underneath a Kitchenaid Superba refrigerator that was sitting like a
time bomb, waiting to leak. Unless you unscrewed the bottom access
panel, you'd never know it even existed. Then one day, over the course
of 24-36 hrs, it springs a large leak. Many gallons of water soaked
into the hardwood and caused it to warp. Well that's history, and you
live and you learn.

To prevent future disasters, I got rid of the filter system entirely,
and just shut off the water to the fridge. Who needs ice water when it
can cost you $10,000 to repair floor damage? Now, I'm paranoid about
the other appliances that have a water line connection, including the
dishwasher and hot water heater. What is the best leak detector with a
shut off relay that can cut the flow of water in case moisture is
sensed on the floor? Is the prevention worse than the disease?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 12:06*am, "Abe M." wrote:
[...]

If it leaked from a plastic supply line behind the fridge, thats not a
surprise. Those will always tend to pop a leak. It should be copper or
the steel braided supply line hoses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 12:06�am, "Abe M." wrote:
[...]

mostly you need to watch for problems. see a tiny amount of something
wierd, check it out. replace appliances before they are ancient.

lastly HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE is designed to pay for such events.

my dad had a water filter under a sink, burst while he was away on a
cruise, flooded entire slab home with foot of water, dog found
swimming in liviung room when my brother stopped to feed butch.

house was restored great, dad had replacement insurance all new
carpet etc, entire house painted for 500 buck deductible.

such wierd events arent necessarily all bad, just very inconvenient.

I vaguely recall they were put up at a nice hotel for a week while the
gross work was done, insurance even paid for a new water filter
system
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 11:06*pm, "Abe M." wrote:
[...]

Anything can and does break, my neighbor was out of town and their
toilet just went, cracked on its own. There are auto water mains
shutoffs that operate by remote leak sensors and one by maybe
excessive use, you might get an insurance discount with one as you do
with some alarm systems and deadbolts. Any water leak on the top floor
can be a real nightmare as this ladys toilet was, canvased walls, wood
floors, carpet, furniture, plaster, was damaged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

you know, ice maker/refrigerator water lines are just like washer hoses.
You have to inspect and replace now and then. Unless it's copper like it
should have been to begin with. If you want to go without ice and water,
then fine. Why not just do your laundry at the laundro mat also, then you
won't have to worry about those washer hoses you haven't looked at for
years. $10,000 for a kitchen floor, JEEEZZEEE. that's one big MF kitchen.
the last laminate i intalled was 79 cents a square foot. And surely you
didn't ruin the whole thing, not that big of one i wouldn't think.

"Abe M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:06:48 -0800 (PST), "Abe M."
wrote:

. What is the best leak detector with a
shut off relay that can cut the flow of water in case moisture is
sensed on the floor? Is the prevention worse than the disease?

Two videos:

Watts WorkShop™ - Installing FloodSafe™ Connectors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7obTa...eature=related

Watts Workshop™ - Product Spotlight Series FloodSafe™ WDS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzuFX8vSUYU

Dual-flush toilets are disastrous - official Martin Pentreath UK diy 66 May 12th 08 09:22 PM
Oil-fired Forced Hot Water System Leaks Water cbfernald Home Repair 7 February 3rd 08 06:59 PM
water leaks Marvin Murr Home Repair 3 January 26th 08 12:44 AM
Water Leaks nntp.fuse.net Home Repair 2 November 28th 07 05:45 PM
Payne Furnace Leaks water??? Alot of water... scale Home Repair 4 May 15th 06 10:07 PM