Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Disastrous Water Leaks

On Nov 7, 11:06*pm, "Abe M." wrote:
Most people assume water leaks in the home come from faulty plumbing,
but my experience is different. There was an inline water filter
underneath a Kitchenaid Superba refrigerator that was sitting like a
time bomb, waiting to leak. Unless you unscrewed the bottom access
panel, you'd never know it even existed. Then one day, over the course
of 24-36 hrs, it springs a large leak. Many gallons of water soaked
into the hardwood and caused it to warp. Well that's history, and you
live and you learn.

To prevent future disasters, I got rid of the filter system entirely,
and just shut off the water to the fridge. Who needs ice water when it
can cost you $10,000 to repair floor damage? Now, I'm paranoid about
the other appliances that have a water line connection, including the
dishwasher and hot water heater. What is the best leak detector with a
shut off relay that can cut the flow of water in case moisture is
sensed on the floor? Is the prevention worse than the disease?

Anything can and does break, my neighbor was out of town and their
toilet just went, cracked on its own. There are auto water mains
shutoffs that operate by remote leak sensors and one by maybe
excessive use, you might get an insurance discount with one as you do
with some alarm systems and deadbolts. Any water leak on the top floor
can be a real nightmare as this ladys toilet was, canvased walls, wood
floors, carpet, furniture, plaster, was damaged.