Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default Disastrous Water Leaks

On Nov 8, 12:06*am, "Abe M." wrote:
Most people assume water leaks in the home come from faulty plumbing,
but my experience is different. There was an inline water filter
underneath a Kitchenaid Superba refrigerator that was sitting like a
time bomb, waiting to leak. Unless you unscrewed the bottom access
panel, you'd never know it even existed. Then one day, over the course
of 24-36 hrs, it springs a large leak. Many gallons of water soaked
into the hardwood and caused it to warp. Well that's history, and you
live and you learn.

To prevent future disasters, I got rid of the filter system entirely,
and just shut off the water to the fridge. Who needs ice water when it
can cost you $10,000 to repair floor damage? Now, I'm paranoid about
the other appliances that have a water line connection, including the
dishwasher and hot water heater. What is the best leak detector with a
shut off relay that can cut the flow of water in case moisture is
sensed on the floor? Is the prevention worse than the disease?

If it leaked from a plastic supply line behind the fridge, thats not a
surprise. Those will always tend to pop a leak. It should be copper or
the steel braided supply line hoses.