Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for ways to reduce the Cooling Load of a black shingled roofin Florida

Im moving to Florida, and, bought a Mobile Home which of course has no
attic. It has a southern exposure with no shade and im wondering what
options are available to reduce the Cooling Load on the roof. Ive
wondered if a metal pan roof can be put over an existing shingle roof
(or just adding large sections of sheetmetal on the roof) , thought
of collecting rain water in a 55 gallon drum and pump it up to the top
of the roof and let it run down thru a PVC pipe with holes drilled
into each side , and have even considered putting in an additional
ceiling inside and insulating that cavity . Has anyone had success
with this issue or can tell me whats an effective solution ? Thanks
much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 3:35 pm, " wrote:
Im moving to Florida, and, bought a Mobile Home which of course has no
attic. It has a southern exposure with no shade and im wondering what
options are available to reduce the Cooling Load on the roof. Ive
wondered if a metal pan roof can be put over an existing shingle roof
(or just adding large sections of sheetmetal on the roof) , thought
of collecting rain water in a 55 gallon drum and pump it up to the top
of the roof and let it run down thru a PVC pipe with holes drilled
into each side , and have even considered putting in an additional
ceiling inside and insulating that cavity . Has anyone had success
with this issue or can tell me whats an effective solution ? Thanks
much.

A good many folks here build a carport looking roof over the mobile
home.
That puts the entire roof in the shade.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 5:23*pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
On Nov 2, 3:35 pm, " wrote:

Im moving to Florida, and, bought a Mobile Home which of course has no
attic. It has a southern exposure with no shade and im wondering what
options are available to reduce the Cooling Load on the roof. *Ive
wondered if a metal pan roof can be put over an existing shingle roof
(or just adding large sections of sheetmetal on the roof) , *thought
of collecting rain water in a 55 gallon drum and pump it up to the top
of the roof and let it run down thru a PVC pipe with holes drilled
into each side , and have even considered putting in an additional
ceiling inside and insulating that cavity . *Has anyone had success
with this issue or can tell me whats an effective solution ? *Thanks
much.

A good many folks here build a carport looking roof over the mobile
home.
That puts the entire roof in the shade.

That would be a VERY tall carport !
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 2, 4:35*pm, " wrote:
Im moving to Florida, and, bought a Mobile Home which of course has no
attic. It has a southern exposure with no shade and im wondering what
options are available to reduce the Cooling Load on the roof. *Ive
wondered if a metal pan roof can be put over an existing shingle roof
(or just adding large sections of sheetmetal on the roof) , *thought
of collecting rain water in a 55 gallon drum and pump it up to the top
of the roof and let it run down thru a PVC pipe with holes drilled
into each side , and have even considered putting in an additional
ceiling inside and insulating that cavity . *Has anyone had success
with this issue or can tell me whats an effective solution ? *Thanks
much.

I was just speaking to a materials engineer friend the other night and
he was telling me that he's somehow involved in new coatings for metal
roofs which drastically reduce heat absorption - and that they do show
dramatic improvements. I suspect that a metal roof laid over your
existing shingle roof is probably your best bet. If you have the time/
energy stripping off the shingles before having the metal installed
would be preferable, but as long as there is only one layer of shingle
you should be OK. I really don't like asphalt shingle roofs; their
only real advantage is price. they're not durable and they just soak
up the heat.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 9:38�am, N8N wrote:
On Nov 2, 4:35�pm, " wrote:

[...]

recoat with white roof coating?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 06:38:17 -0800 (PST), N8N
wrote:

On Nov 2, 4:35*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Total amateur who lives in So. Calif. ventures an unqualified opinion

I'd agree w/ abover poster to cover or replace the asphalt shingle,
esp. if there is any fire danger in your area.

Plant the fastest-growing shade trees you can find, for the long run.

For the short run, make sure the final coat, whatever it may be,
is WHITE, WHITE WHITE!

Last time I had a roof put on, I had them put on a silvery reflective
coat rather than leave the black tar exposed.

Good luck,
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,
Increase the attic vent.

Yep!

One of those "sysems" that channels air from the eves to the ridge vent and
at the same time provides some "radiation shielding." might be effective to
the point where it almost doesn't matter what color the room is.