Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default What color should shingled roof be?

It's late in the year but my ex's roof is leaking and she isn't sure
what color the new one should be. She has a one story house with a
pitched shingled roof.

IIUC, black is bad in both the summer and winter. In the summer
because it absorbs heat and makes the AC work harder.
In winter because it radiates heat, and makes the furnace work
harder.
Even if the attic is insulated from the first floor
Is this all true?

IIUC white always ends up looking dirty, although one roofing company
said they had a new kind of white that stayed clean. Is this
possible?

So in between, it seems to me that light brown or light grey is good
because they abosrb and transmit the least amount of heat. Right?

Medium or dark brown or grey might be desired because they look nicer,
but the heating and AC cost will go up. Have I got that right?

I thank you and my ex thanks you.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"mm" wrote in message
She has a one story house with a
pitched shingled roof.

IIUC, black is bad in both the summer and winter. In the summer
because it absorbs heat and makes the AC work harder.
In winter because it radiates heat, and makes the furnace work
harder.
Even if the attic is insulated from the first floor
Is this all true?

I bought what I though looked good, a pewter colored shingle. I don't think
the color really means all that much, but agree that some white ones tend to
look dirty faster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
She has a one story house with a
pitched shingled roof.

IIUC, black is bad in both the summer and winter. In the summer
because it absorbs heat and makes the AC work harder.
In winter because it radiates heat, and makes the furnace work
harder.
Even if the attic is insulated from the first floor
Is this all true?

I bought what I though looked good, a pewter colored shingle. I don't think
the color really means all that much, but agree that some white ones tend to
look dirty faster.

Greetings,

They should be a colour that you can easily match 12 years from now
when a section is damaged in a storm. I always suggest black but if
someone showed me some real energy numbers I might be willing to change
my mind.

Hope this helps,
William

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , mm says...

It's late in the year but my ex's roof is leaking and she isn't sure
what color the new one should be. She has a one story house with a
pitched shingled roof.

IIUC, black is bad in both the summer and winter. In the summer
because it absorbs heat and makes the AC work harder.
In winter because it radiates heat, and makes the furnace work
harder.
Even if the attic is insulated from the first floor
Is this all true?

Around here in upstate NY black can be bad in winter because it melts snow too
quickly when it's still below freezing, leading to ice dam problems. But I
still see them. Indeed most new McMansions seem to have them.

IIUC white always ends up looking dirty, although one roofing company
said they had a new kind of white that stayed clean. Is this
possible?

I have a white shingled roof that looks really nice still. Partly I think
because it always gets sunlight at some time during the day, discouraging fungus
and molds. Also, my chimneys are both on the south side of the house - when
they're running the most the wind is blowing emissions away from the house. But
most white roofs I see do look dirty.

I'll go with a light brown when I replace (some years down the road still, it
looks like.)

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H.

mm writes:

It's late in the year but my ex's roof is leaking and she isn't sure
what color the new one should be. She has a one story house with a
pitched shingled roof.

I had an ex once that used to keep asking me for advice on **** like
this after we split.

This justifiably annoyed me and my "current" to no end.

THe lighter the color, the better to minimize heat gain. You'll find
that if you match the color of the trim or shutters on your house, it
looks best.

If you go away from a black roof, you have to start worrying about
whether it'll make your existing siding/exterior/shutters/trim look
goofy or not. Just be sure to take that into account when selecting
colors.

The "white that doesn't get dirty" sounds like a bunch of BS.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Patrick Cleburne

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Why don't you just let her new boyfriend worry about it ;-)

Patrick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Tosca

"mm" wrote in message
It's late in the year but my ex's roof is leaking and she isn't sure
what color the new one should be.

Here in the mid-Alantic states, the avoidance of absorbing heat in the
summer is far more important than the avoidance of reflecting heat in the
winter. It seems as if there is insignificant heat to absorb during our
depths of winter. I'm more concerned about insulation to keep my generated
heat inside the house.

That being the case, I recommend shingling your roof with mirrors. Enjoy the
low cooling bills!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

I thank you and my ex thanks you.

Why don't you just let her new boyfriend worry about it ;-)

It should get Certainteed Carriage-House Shangles, in
red and green, and do the roof in alternating lozenges.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 30 Nov 2005 16:15:59 -0600, (Todd H.) wrote:

mm writes:

It's late in the year but my ex's roof is leaking and she isn't sure
what color the new one should be. She has a one story house with a
pitched shingled roof.

BTW, we're in Baltimore. Some snow every year, maybe 10 or 15
inches total. Hot sunny summers..

I had an ex once that used to keep asking me for advice on **** like
this after we split.

This justifiably annoyed me and my "current" to no end.

Well, she's only my ex-girlfriend. I should have said this but the
extra 11 characters discouraged me, and I have trouble typing the word
correctly.

Also I have no "cuirrent" so she's all I've got.

THe lighter the color, the better to minimize heat gain. You'll find
that if you match the color of the trim or shutters on your house, it
looks best.

She has black shutters... and medium brown brick.. She also mentioned
a color that was dark and light brown with particles of black. Maybe
that would be good. But I'll just forward all this to her.

Also, maybe I should suggest she buy an extra container of shingles
for future repairs.

If you go away from a black roof, you have to start worrying about
whether it'll make your existing siding/exterior/shutters/trim look
goofy or not. Just be sure to take that into account when selecting
colors.

The "white that doesn't get dirty" sounds like a bunch of BS.

I'll buy that.

Best Regards,

Thanks to all.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

mm wrote:
It's late in the year but my ex's roof is leaking and she isn't sure
what color the new one should be. She has a one story house with a
pitched shingled roof.

IIUC, black is bad in both the summer and winter. In the summer
because it absorbs heat and makes the AC work harder.
In winter because it radiates heat, and makes the furnace work
harder.
Even if the attic is insulated from the first floor
Is this all true?
..

You worry too much. Pick a color that looks good. The differences you
are worried about are almost non-existent in any properly designed and
insulated home.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Joe has it right. With good ceiling insulation the color of the
shingles will make very little difference in the cooling season and
even less difference in the heating season. Pic a color that looks
nice and find something more important to worry about.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
PolyMorf

Stretch wrote:
Joe has it right. With good ceiling insulation the color of the
shingles will make very little difference in the cooling season and
even less difference in the heating season. Pic a color that looks
nice and find something more important to worry about.

Stretch

I agree. Modern building methods use large amounts of celing
insulation and plenty of roof venting.

Where I live, in a suburb of Dayton, there is air polution and light
colored shingles end up showing black staining after 10 years. I
went with a dark brown on my house, which matches up with the
rest of the house pretty well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 03:22:15 GMT, "PolyMorf" wrote:

Stretch wrote:
Joe has it right. With good ceiling insulation the color of the
shingles will make very little difference in the cooling season and
even less difference in the heating season. Pic a color that looks
nice and find something more important to worry about.

Stretch

I agree. Modern building methods use large amounts of celing
insulation and plenty of roof venting.

Where I live, in a suburb of Dayton, there is air polution and light
colored shingles end up showing black staining after 10 years. I
went with a dark brown on my house, which matches up with the
rest of the house pretty well.

These three forwarded to her also, even if it will make her think I'm
dumb.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Joseph Meehan wrote:

mm wrote:

It's late in the year but my ex's roof is leaking and she isn't sure
what color the new one should be. She has a one story house with a
pitched shingled roof.

IIUC, black is bad in both the summer and winter. In the summer
because it absorbs heat and makes the AC work harder.
In winter because it radiates heat, and makes the furnace work
harder.
Even if the attic is insulated from the first floor
Is this all true?
..

You worry too much. Pick a color that looks good. The differences you
are worried about are almost non-existent in any properly designed and
insulated home.

I wonder how many American homes are "properly designed and insulated."
I suspect not many.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Nov 2005 13:37:20 -0800, "
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Years ago, I got a bunch of cheap shingles. Cheap because there were
bundles and part bundles of all different colors. I did my roof with
them, randonly placing them so it did not look like I did a section at
at time and bought a different color when I ran out. I called it the
rainbow roof and it looked nice. Of course that was the early 70's
and back then, unique was "psychedelic". I never had to worry about
replacements, because any color would work. I think the whole roof
cost me about $100, but that includes nails, metal drip edges,
flashing and tar.

I thought I'd mention this because if you cant decide, consider this
option.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Nov 2005 18:36:37 -0800, "Stretch" wrote:

Joe has it right. With good ceiling insulation the color of the
shingles will make very little difference in the cooling season and
even less difference in the heating season. Pic a color that looks
nice and find something more important to worry about.

Stretch

CLEAR

Get CLEAR shingles and use clear silicone to seal around the
flashings. However, there is a word of caution on the packages of
clear shingles. Here is the exact wording on the package. "Caution,
these are the finest quality clear shingles you can buy. They come
with a 25 year guarantee against damage and breakage under normal
conditions. However, because these shingles are clear, the homeowner
must never have sexual intercourse in the attic with the lights turned
on."

There you go. Now you know exactly what NOT to do !!!

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"mm" wrote

It's late in the year but my ex's roof is leaking

That'll teach the b*tch!!!!!!

;-]

Tell her to go with something neutral. Not white and not black. Something
that will compliment the rest of the house.

A neighbor of mine redid his about 10 years ago and his was the first I had
ever seen that was done with blue shingles. It was cool at first. Now it's
kind of obnoxious (he feels the same way). That's just me (well, and him)
but go with what you ( she) likes.....

Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 05:16 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Roofing Question about water getting under Shingled Roof? Bob Home Repair 8 October 18th 03 08:22 PM