Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default What color should shingled roof be?

It's late in the year but my ex's roof is leaking and she isn't sure
what color the new one should be. She has a one story house with a
pitched shingled roof.

IIUC, black is bad in both the summer and winter. In the summer
because it absorbs heat and makes the AC work harder.
In winter because it radiates heat, and makes the furnace work
harder.
Even if the attic is insulated from the first floor
Is this all true?

IIUC white always ends up looking dirty, although one roofing company
said they had a new kind of white that stayed clean. Is this
possible?

So in between, it seems to me that light brown or light grey is good
because they abosrb and transmit the least amount of heat. Right?

Medium or dark brown or grey might be desired because they look nicer,
but the heating and AC cost will go up. Have I got that right?

I thank you and my ex thanks you.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 05:16 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Roofing Question about water getting under Shingled Roof? Bob Home Repair 8 October 18th 03 08:22 PM