Dick

Default Heating and Cooling Load Analysis

Is there a site on-line site where I can do a heating and cooling load
analysis on my home? I would like to determine the proper size of
heat pump to use. I found several sites where software could be
purchased, but I only need it once.
Joseph Meehan

Dick wrote:
Is there a site on-line site where I can do a heating and cooling load
analysis on my home? I would like to determine the proper size of
heat pump to use. I found several sites where software could be
purchased, but I only need it once.

Personally considering the cost of an error, I would rather have someone
who knows their trade do the measuring and hopefully notice any unusual
situations to factor in, than to rely on myself. I would also want whoever
was going to install it to do the numbers for me. I would question anyone
who would install it without doing the numbers thenself.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Art

I wish him luck finding a HVAC "pro" who takes the time to do the numbers.
I had to call up 6 guys to find one. The first 5 said, something like, "in
this area, with this size house, you need about a 3 ton system".

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Dick wrote:
Is there a site on-line site where I can do a heating and cooling load
analysis on my home? I would like to determine the proper size of
heat pump to use. I found several sites where software could be
purchased, but I only need it once.

Personally considering the cost of an error, I would rather have
someone who knows their trade do the measuring and hopefully notice any
unusual situations to factor in, than to rely on myself. I would also
want whoever was going to install it to do the numbers for me. I would
question anyone who would install it without doing the numbers thenself.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Matt

Well then it sounds like this is an excellent way to weed out the hacks
before you ever spend a dime.

Joseph Meehan

Art wrote:
I wish him luck finding a HVAC "pro" who takes the time to do the
numbers. I had to call up 6 guys to find one. The first 5 said,
something
like, "in this area, with this size house, you need about a 3 ton
system".

As Matt said, you just found out you don't want to do business with any
of those five. That is sure worth the question.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

mike hide

Dick wrote:
Is there a site on-line site where I can do a heating and cooling load
analysis on my home? I would like to determine the proper size of
heat pump to use. I found several sites where software could be
purchased, but I only need it once.

Personally considering the cost of an error, I would rather have

someone
who knows their trade do the measuring and hopefully notice any unusual
situations to factor in, than to rely on myself. I would also want

whoever
was going to install it to do the numbers for me. I would question anyone
who would install it without doing the numbers thenself.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Actually more like IRA intimidation through terrorism.........

Dick

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:43:29 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Dick wrote:
Is there a site on-line site where I can do a heating and cooling load
analysis on my home? I would like to determine the proper size of
heat pump to use. I found several sites where software could be
purchased, but I only need it once.

Personally considering the cost of an error, I would rather have someone
who knows their trade do the measuring and hopefully notice any unusual
situations to factor in, than to rely on myself. I would also want whoever
was going to install it to do the numbers for me. I would question anyone
who would install it without doing the numbers thenself.

I will have the person doing the installing do an analysis, but I
would like to have an idea of what it should come out to before I just
take their calculations at face value. In this area, there are only
two dealers that handle the type/brand of heat pump I want. Not much
choice.
Chris

Dick:

Try he

The Gas Appliances Manufacturers' Association (GAMA) has tool that
consumers can use to estimate their annual heating requirements and
compare the operating costs of different models:
http://www.gamanet.org/gama/inforeso...s?OpenDocument

Looks like you start by doing a load estimate.

Chris

wrote:

Dick wrote:
[...]

Goedjn

wrote:

Dick wrote:
[...]

For an approximation, you just multiply the surface area of all the
walls, doors, windows, ceilings, etc. by the relevent U values (1/R),
and multiply that by biggest temperature differential you're
going to want between the outside and the inside.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu.../heatloss.html

You can probably expect the number that a pro comes up with to be
a bit off from that, but if it's a LOT different, I'd want to know
why. For finding the R values of various things, as well as
vast amounts of other useful and useless information, I cannot
recommend _Thomas J. Glover's Pocket Reference_ highly enough.

--Goedjn

Erma1ina

Dick wrote:

Is there a site on-line site where I can do a heating and cooling load
analysis on my home? I would like to determine the proper size of
heat pump to use. I found several sites where software could be
purchased, but I only need it once.

http://home.att.net/~alt.hvac/loads.htm
Chris Hill

wrote:

Dick wrote:
Is there a site on-line site where I can do a heating and cooling load
analysis on my home? I would like to determine the proper size of
heat pump to use. I found several sites where software could be
purchased, but I only need it once.

Personally considering the cost of an error, I would rather have someone
who knows their trade do the measuring and hopefully notice any unusual
situations to factor in, than to rely on myself. I would also want whoever
was going to install it to do the numbers for me. I would question anyone
who would install it without doing the numbers thenself.

Hmmm, you'd be looking a long time in my area. I had three estimates
for a new furnace in 1997 and none of them bothered to do the
calculations, if they did they must've done them really fast where I
didn't see it. I'll be a lot more careful nex time.
Yuban Hadd

Never knew that daveinIllinois (aka DNandB) had 5 different phone
numbers

Evaporative cooler question SteveB Home Repair 105 February 1st 05 01:06 PM
Using deep well water fro cooling / heating & other ideas energy_freak UK diy 4 September 29th 04 05:31 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Does cooling require more BTU/hr than heating to maintain same temp difference? Edwin Pawlowski Home Repair 9 July 26th 04 02:24 AM
Followup: York heat pump replacement - quote sounds high, thoughts? Peter Drier Home Repair 5 June 26th 04 07:31 AM