Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Edible chestnuts?

Having successfully grown a few horse (non-edible) chestnut (and oaks
and other varieties) trees over the last 40 years or so I was happy on
one occasion to find a few edible chestnuts in a local s.market that
had begun to sprout. Bought them and was able to get two or three
small chestnut trees to start growing.

That was some 12 to 15 years ago.

However due to neglect during illness in the family including the
death of my late wife in 1997, the seedlings perished.

Each year since have looked for edible chestnuts (especially any that
were starting to sprout) leading up to Christmas and today have phoned
several local emporium; none advise they will be having any edible
chestnuts for Christmas.

Googled; but not much info. there (one source of edible Italian
chestnuts is out of stock but will advise).

Would very much like to plant North American sourced chestnuts since
they will probably be more suited to our climate and eventually do
well.

Speaking of climate; we have a long chilly but not extremely cold
winter here (Eastern Canada); and it does seem to be getting milder
(Global warming etc.).

Can anybody suggest a source of say a dozen or so edible American
chestnuts (probably quarter of a pound?) with a high likelihood of
sprouting?

Might be able to get two or three viable trees? When hardened off then
plant them with members of the family in memory of my late wife.

Any info. be much appreciated. terry in Newfoundland, Eastern Canada.

PS. Recently after reading an article about being carbon neutral went
out and counted the number of trees we have planted and grown up
around this property (there were none when we arrived and built on
this old potato field!); about half an acre for our and one
daughter's house.
It was around 70. Plus a few that we had given immediate neighbours
etc. That few included a couple of horse chestnuts. Which are growing
slowly but steadily. A number of oak trees have this year for almost
the first time produced a significant number of acorns. Planting those
will, hopefully, produce yet another generation of trees!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 3:06*pm, terry wrote:
[...]

Street vendors in france roast chestnuts everywhere, street vendors in
mexico cook tacos.
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
Having successfully grown a few horse (non-edible) chestnut (and oaks
and other varieties) trees over the last 40 years or so I was happy on
one occasion to find a few edible chestnuts in a local s.market that
had begun to sprout. Bought them and was able to get two or three
small chestnut trees to start growing.

I have a couple of Chinese chestnuts that I bought trees mail order
years ago. May have been Musser Forests in Indiana, PA. There also may
be blight hardy American trees. Only problem is Chestnut weevils but
spraying can prevent them.

You might try emailing the folks at Delmarvelous Farms. They were very
helpful in informing me to getting the weevils controlled.

http://www.buychestnuts.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:

[...]

You'll find no North American chestnuts; they were wiped out by blight
at the beginning of the 20th century. Only a few native trees remain on
the whole continent. There's an effort underway to cross them with
blight-resistant chestnuts from China.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:

PS. Recently after reading an article about being carbon neutral went
out and counted the number of trees we have planted and grown up
around this property (there were none when we arrived and built on
this old potato field!); about half an acre for our and one
daughter's house.

Hey, potatoes are carbon-neutral too!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 2:48*pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
terry wrote:
Having successfully grown a few horse (non-edible) chestnut (and oaks
and other varieties) trees over the last 40 years or so I was happy on
one occasion to find a few edible chestnuts in a local s.market that
had begun to sprout. Bought them and was able to get two or three
small chestnut trees to start growing.

I have a couple of Chinese chestnuts that I bought trees mail order
years ago. *May have been Musser Forests in Indiana, PA. *There also may
be blight hardy American trees. *Only problem is Chestnut weevils but
spraying can prevent them.

You might try emailing the folks at Delmarvelous Farms. *They were very
helpful in informing me to getting the weevils controlled.

http://www.buychestnuts.com/

I dont know about weevil control but have some experience with mice..
I shot one with my berretta 22 pistol a few years back from about 10'
away... thought I missed, then a few days later in better light I
saw tiny red specs and tiny fragments of grey fur.

with weevils you would probably have to get a little closer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chinese-American hybrids are common enough. Anyplace that sells nut trees
ought to have them. I can't believe nothing came up on a search.

The chestnuts sold in the groceries (and they are common enough around here)
are Italian chestnuts. They are never sold as plants; I don't know why.
Perhaps they will die from chestnut blight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 8:49*pm, Matt wrote:
terry wrote:
PS. Recently after reading an article about being carbon neutral went
out and counted the number of trees we have planted and grown up
around this property (there were none when we arrived and built on
this old potato field!); about half an acre for *our and one
daughter's house.

Hey, potatoes are carbon-neutral too!

Right on Matt; valid point. We were the first to buy a half acre of
this old potato field some 40 years ago. Had an opportunity to buy the
whole field, which now accommodates 12 homes (all with municipal water
and sewer), for (then) $10K. Another of life's lost
opportunities?????
But funds were short, one salary and we were building this single
storey, 4 bedroom, full basement house which we completed in about 3.5
years for around $37,000 including land, a well and septic system and
without any mortgage. So back then the house cost us about four times
our net salary. And the local primary school was just yards away! Very
safe and convenient.
Just picked up some more acorns from trees planted since then.
Thanking all for advice about sources of edible chestnuts for
planting; apparently there are bans on shipping 'seed nuts' (and
seedlings trees) to certain areas of North America, including where we
are! Probably so as to not spread that weevil problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jack wrote:
Chinese-American hybrids are common enough. Anyplace that sells nut
trees ought to have them. I can't believe nothing came up on a
search.

The chestnuts sold in the groceries (and they are common enough
around here) are Italian chestnuts. They are never sold as plants;
don't know why. Perhaps they will die from chestnut blight.

I'm not seeing the original post for some reason.

Anybody interested in growing American chestnut trees should check out
http://www.acf.org/, which is attempting to develop proven
blight-resistant strains.

http://www.icserv.com/nnga/faqchest.htm has a list of sources for
chestnut seedlings (including some in Canada) and other useful
information.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
[...]

Hi,
You can find raew chestnuts at oriental grocery stores. They may sprout
and grow. I just love roasted chestnuts. Very nutritious.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 4:31*pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
terry wrote:
[...]

Arlington, TX- Hide quoted text -

You mean that Christmas song about roasting chestnuts on an open fire
is just a lie? It was bad enough when I learned that Santa Claus is a
lie too. (about 50 years ago).
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you can only find chestnuts sold in some groceries. But plants
itself never heard any of it.
Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com