Posted to alt.home.repair
phil scott phil scott is offline

Default Edible chestnuts?

On Oct 24, 2:48*pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
terry wrote:
Having successfully grown a few horse (non-edible) chestnut (and oaks
and other varieties) trees over the last 40 years or so I was happy on
one occasion to find a few edible chestnuts in a local s.market that
had begun to sprout. Bought them and was able to get two or three
small chestnut trees to start growing.

I have a couple of Chinese chestnuts that I bought trees mail order
years ago. *May have been Musser Forests in Indiana, PA. *There also may
be blight hardy American trees. *Only problem is Chestnut weevils but
spraying can prevent them.

You might try emailing the folks at Delmarvelous Farms. *They were very
helpful in informing me to getting the weevils controlled.

http://www.buychestnuts.com/

I dont know about weevil control but have some experience with mice..
I shot one with my berretta 22 pistol a few years back from about 10'
away... thought I missed, then a few days later in better light I
saw tiny red specs and tiny fragments of grey fur.

with weevils you would probably have to get a little closer.