Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Edible chestnuts?

On Oct 24, 8:49*pm, Matt wrote:
terry wrote:
PS. Recently after reading an article about being carbon neutral went
out and counted the number of trees we have planted and grown up
around this property (there were none when we arrived and built on
this old potato field!); about half an acre for *our and one
daughter's house.

Hey, potatoes are carbon-neutral too!

Right on Matt; valid point. We were the first to buy a half acre of
this old potato field some 40 years ago. Had an opportunity to buy the
whole field, which now accommodates 12 homes (all with municipal water
and sewer), for (then) $10K. Another of life's lost
opportunities?????
But funds were short, one salary and we were building this single
storey, 4 bedroom, full basement house which we completed in about 3.5
years for around $37,000 including land, a well and septic system and
without any mortgage. So back then the house cost us about four times
our net salary. And the local primary school was just yards away! Very
safe and convenient.
Just picked up some more acorns from trees planted since then.
Thanking all for advice about sources of edible chestnuts for
planting; apparently there are bans on shipping 'seed nuts' (and
seedlings trees) to certain areas of North America, including where we
are! Probably so as to not spread that weevil problem.