Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Temperatue setting during long winter vacation

On Oct 20, 12:36*pm, "John61" wrote:
We will be out of country for almost whole winter. I know we got to leave
the furnace ON while we're away.

But what is the best temperature we should set on the control? We're in
mid-west Canada. In winter, temperature could be below -30C (-22F). We have
a gas furnace in basement where the water main comes in., all utilities are
in the basement including water heater and softener.

Thanks,

John

Why do you have to leave the furnace on, I dont and it gets to -15f, I
drain everything and winterize the traps, My setup with ball valves
takes me 5 minutes and its all done. I also turn the water off at the
street. Even leaving furnace on you need everything done, furnaces
break and there are power outages, unless someone will visit every day
you are at risk. A furnace is forced air, not radiators. If its left
on a freeze alarm that calls you is a good idea. Why pay to heat when
you are not there, plus you kill termites and other bugs.