Christine

Default Heating a vacation home in winter

Hi -- I purchased a small ski house in Canada last year so it's my
second winter. When I bought the house there were a fair number of
cracks in the walls, which my neighbor said was a result of rapid
heating - i.e. the previous owners would leave the house unheated when
they weren't there then crank it when they were, resulting in the
cracks. When I got the cracks fixed/the interior painted this summer,
though, the contractor who did the job said that absolutely wasn't the
issue, it was a bad taping job that caused the cracks and I didn't
need to worry about heating the place when I wasn't there. It does get
cold up, up to -20F at times last winter.

So what's the truth? I don't want to ruin the new walls, but at the
same time if there's no reason to heat it I'd rather not. It's
electric heat and can be quite expensive. If I should keep it on, how
high should it be? The neighbor says 60 degrees. Thanks for any
guidance (I'm a female, first time homeowner with fairly limited
domestic knowledge at this point!).
Tony Hwang

Christine wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I have a cottage out in the woods here in Alberta. It is for 4 season
use and built for that. Has NG furnace and fire place. When not in use
year round, I set the thermostat at 10 deg. C. Of course in summer
furnace never kicks in at that setting. In winter, it does a few times
when weather gets real cold. The building is of 2X6 walls with R20
insulation. When I go out there in winter I turn on fire place and set
the thermostat to 20 deg. C or so. Never had wall cracking problem.
If you don't heat, what about plumbing? It may freeze.
My winter temp. is upto -50 deg. F with wind chill.
Tony
Chet Hayes

Tony Hwang wrote in message news:%XAcd.765815$gE.282393@pd7tw3no...
Christine wrote:
[...]

Plumbing may freeze? It surely will with outside temps of -20F. The
house either has to have the heat left on or else the water system
needs to be winterized. Since it's a ski house, it doesn't sound
practical to go through winterizing it and renewing it for each visit.

I'd set the thermostat for 50 degrees. Any lower than that, with -20
outside, you still might have freezing problems. It really depends on
how well the heat system is balanced and how well insulation was done
in exterior walls around water pipes. Also, leave cabinet doors under
sinks by outside walls open to let more warm air in.
meirman

In alt.home.repair on 17 Oct 2004 13:38:43 -0700
(Christine) posted:

Hi -- I purchased a small ski house in Canada last year so it's my
second winter. When I bought the house there were a fair number of
cracks in the walls, which my neighbor said was a result of rapid
heating - i.e. the previous owners would leave the house unheated when
they weren't there then crank it when they were, resulting in the
cracks. When I got the cracks fixed/the interior painted this summer,
though, the contractor who did the job said that absolutely wasn't the
issue, it was a bad taping job that caused the cracks and I didn't
need to worry about heating the place when I wasn't there. It does get
cold up, up to -20F at times last winter.

So what's the truth? I don't want to ruin the new walls, but at the

I don't know, but there is a new bio out about Millicent Fenwick, a US
Congressman from New Jersey iirc. After she left the House, she was
the ambassador to some country in Europe for a few years. She was
verrry thrifty and contacted the utilities for advice on how to
disconnect her house while she was gone. They or a plumber explained
how to drain the water pipes, and she did that, or had it done, and
off she went. Apparently it would have cost her 2 or 3 thousand
dollars a year, or for 3 years, to heat her house. That seems like a
lot for the 50's or 60's. I haven't read the book, only heard it
discussed on NPR. I'm in Maryland, which is warmer than NJ, and have
a 1400 square foot town house with 3 outside walls and bad fitting
doors, but up until this years price rise, I only used one tank of oil
per year, for about 300 dollars or a little more. Her house must have
been big and hard to heat.

When she got back iirc 3 years later, the house looked good on the
outside iirc, but when they went inside, the ceiling in a room or more
had collapsed, and the repairs were about 10000 dollars. She was very
upset, and I gather would have left the heat on if she had known.

What I don't understand fully is how cold I can let my house get. The
thermostat only goes down to 50 degrees I think. I would think 40 or
45 would be warm enough. I realize that it can be colder in some
parts of the house than it is by the thermostat, but 50 - 32 is 18.
That much colder? The basement doesn't get that hot in the summer or
that cold in the winter I thought, even if there is no heat or
cooling.

If you do let it go below freezing, you have to drain all the pipes,
plus the toilet tanks and toilet bowls. And the water heater. What
about the sink traps, and the water in the bottom of the dishwasher
and the washing machine?

Plus the garden faucets. There are some available that are long and
have the valve actually in the house, but yours are installed already
and I don't know how common the kind I mean would be, even in Canada.

So if you don't have that, you have to turn off the water supply to
each garden faucet, and turn on the faucet outside and then open the
knurled cap nut, if there is one, on the valve inside, to drain the
water between the valve and the faucet, which includes the water near
the faucet that may freeze otherwise. You have to do this even if you
leave the heat on all winter.

same time if there's no reason to heat it I'd rather not. It's
electric heat and can be quite expensive. If I should keep it on, how
high should it be? The neighbor says 60 degrees. Thanks for any
guidance (I'm a female, first time homeowner with fairly limited
domestic knowledge at this point!).

I surely think 60 is too much. If there were a problem with rapid
heating, that could be avoided by leaving it at, say, 50, and turning
up the thermostat 2 or 3 degrees every hour. That would be 6 hours or
more to get to 70, but I think you would be willing to do that to save
the heat needed to go from 50 to 60. You just keep your coat on. Maybe
this is unneeded for this situation, but to think one has to let the
thermostat control the heating rate is to be stuck thinking inside the
box.

Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:52:11 GMT Tony Hwang
posted:

Christine wrote:
[...]

Wind chill doesn't count with regard to houses and pipes, unless it is
or was recently raining. Pipes don't perspire, so indoor pipes don't
get wind chill.

Tony

Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on 17 Oct 2004 20:10:40 -0700
(Chet Hayes) posted:

Christine wrote:
[...]

Oh yeah, winterizing. Don't some people put antifreeze in the toilets
and sinks traps? A 50/50 ratio gives the most protection, but to do
that you have to estimate how much is in the trap. (Toilets have a
trap to but it is built into the toilet. The trap is the water that
you can see in the bottom of the toilet, plus a smaller amount of
water at the same height in the tube leading out and up from the back
of the bowl. Then you have to remember not to use the sink or flush
the toilet before you leave.

I'd set the thermostat for 50 degrees. Any lower than that, with -20
outside, you still might have freezing problems. It really depends on
how well the heat system is balanced and how well insulation was done
in exterior walls around water pipes. Also, leave cabinet doors under

Good point. My friend lives in Herndon Va, 30 miles SW of Washington
DC, and the first winter the pipe burst in his kitchen, in the wall
but not so near his sink. It must be a pipe to a bathroom upstairs.
Turns out that the builder had put the insulation between the pipe and
the inside of the wall, not the outside like he should have. And this
is northern Virginia, where it rarely even snows. (once a year?) And
they were home at the time and using most of the faucets. The house
was new so the builder paid for the repairs.

Other than sinks built under a window, like our first two houses, is
there really a reason to put pipes in outside walls? (And with
dishwashers, does anyone spend substantial time at the sink anymore,
that it helps to have it with a window?)

sinks by outside walls open to let more warm air in.

Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

m Ransley

Turn off heat , pour RV antifreeze in all traps , washing machine ,sump
pump etc. Drain pipes and water heater. Shut off water at street.
Heating systems break down when you need them , dont rely on them or
you may freeze.

Christine

It might help to hear what the actual cause of the interior damage
was, but I'll wager a bunch that it wasn't the absence of heat.
Ice-dams maybe. Or roof leaks that went unnoticed for years. Or any
combination of many possible sources. (She really should have had
someone visit the house regularly.)

Interestingly, no discussion yet of keeping internal relative humidity
stable, or at least within reasonable range. The pulling apart of the
wallboard joints mentioned by OP probably resulted from use of
relatively wet lumber, shrinking on drying- across grain. And maybe
from sub-optimum taping. Nothing much anyone could have done after
the fact with that, except what OP had done.

John

Thanks to all for your guidance ... I'm still not clear on what would
cause the cracks but it sounds like I should keep it at 40-50 degrees
inside just to be safe? Re the plumbing, I know this sounds kind of
bizarre but the guy who built the house installed some kind of
mechanism that heats the pipes when the temperature goes below a
certain temperature so you never have to worry about freezing pipes
(the neighbor told me this; his house is built by the same guy). I
know it sounds weird -- because I don't understand why every house in
a cold climate wouldn't have it -- but it's the truth because last
winter was brutal and I would leave the house unattended for up to 6
weeks at a time and I never had a pipe problem.
m Ransley

Meirman is an idiot, certified........

Drain your house and freeze protect it with a local . Use antifreeze in
traps and washers- - clothes.washers anything that holds water, even
pumps

m Ransley

Everything breaks down, even "HEAT TAPE " So do utiltiy wires and
companies. So Now go figure miss uninformed. Keep powered, or do a
saftey shut down. You really cant be that dumb, can you ?

Red Neckerson

"Christine" wrote

i've answered you privately, something you denied me the courtesy of
(what a surprise!). no i'm not dumb, i'm doing what most other people
who use chatboards do by asking for help. christ - go kick some small
animals why don't you. spare the rest of us your misanthropic bent.

Look at the big brain on Christine!!!

I LIKE you!

You're Spunky!!!!!!

Anytime you have a question, just ask me! I'll give it to you straight!

Tony Hwang

Red Neckerson wrote:

"Christine" wrote

i've answered you privately, something you denied me the courtesy of
(what a surprise!). no i'm not dumb, i'm doing what most other people
who use chatboards do by asking for help. christ - go kick some small
animals why don't you. spare the rest of us your misanthropic bent.

Look at the big brain on Christine!!!

I LIKE you!

You're Spunky!!!!!!

Anytime you have a question, just ask me! I'll give it to you straight!

Hi,
I don't like the part "kicking some small animals". Maybe that's what
she does? Not nice. SPCA is watching you.
Tony