Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Temperatue setting during long winter vacation

We will be out of country for almost whole winter. I know we got to leave
the furnace ON while we're away.

But what is the best temperature we should set on the control? We're in
mid-west Canada. In winter, temperature could be below -30C (-22F). We have
a gas furnace in basement where the water main comes in., all utilities are
in the basement including water heater and softener.

Thanks,

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 20, 1:36*pm, "John61" wrote:
We will be out of country for almost whole winter. I know we got to leave
the furnace ON while we're away.

But what is the best temperature we should set on the control? We're in
mid-west Canada. In winter, temperature could be below -30C (-22F). We have
a gas furnace in basement where the water main comes in., all utilities are
in the basement including water heater and softener.

Thanks,

John

I would shut off the water and drain it down no matter what you set
the furnace at. Too much possibility for something to go wrong.
Don't forget to turn off the hot water heater.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
On Oct 20, 1:36 pm, "John61" wrote:
We will be out of country for almost whole winter. I know we got to leave
the furnace ON while we're away.

But what is the best temperature we should set on the control? We're in
mid-west Canada. In winter, temperature could be below -30C (-22F). We
have
a gas furnace in basement where the water main comes in., all utilities
are
in the basement including water heater and softener.

I would shut off the water and drain it down no matter what you set the
furnace at.
Too much possibility for something to go wrong Don't forget to turn off the
hot water heater.

One insurance company I spoke to INSISTED the water system be drained if the
house was vacant over the Winter.
Mine doesn't, but I do it anwway ..its often -20 here during Dec/Jan.
We set ours at 55oF as thats the lowest setting on our thermostat (heat pump
VS gas furnace) and my heat (electric) bills only run about $ 60/mo.
All our Ngas: water heater, cooktop and Gas F/P is shut off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:36:01 -0600, John61 wrote:

We will be out of country for almost whole winter. I know we got to
leave the furnace ON while we're away.

It would be cheaper to leave the furnace off and winterize your house
plumbing.

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"John61" wrote:

We will be out of country for almost whole winter. I know we got to leave
the furnace ON while we're away.

But what is the best temperature we should set on the control? We're in
mid-west Canada. In winter, temperature could be below -30C (-22F). We have
a gas furnace in basement where the water main comes in., all utilities are
in the basement including water heater and softener.

Thanks,

John

A $75,000,000 U.S. government study on this topic, conducted in 2003,
found that the optimal temp was between 50 and 52 degrees F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"John61" wrote:

But what is the best temperature we should set on the control? We're in
mid-west Canada. In winter, temperature could be below -30C (-22F).

A $75,000,000 U.S. government study on this topic, conducted in 2003,
found that the optimal temp was between 50 and 52 degrees F.

50-52 is a perfect temperature for storage of your wine in the cellar over
the Winter

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 12:55*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*"John61" wrote:
We will be out of country for almost whole winter. I know we got to leave
the furnace ON while we're away.

But what is the best temperature we should set on the control? We're in
mid-west Canada. In winter, temperature could be below -30C (-22F). We have
a gas furnace in basement where the water main comes in., all utilities are
in the basement including water heater and softener.

Thanks,

John

A $75,000,000 U.S. government study on this topic, conducted in 2003,
found that the optimal temp was between 50 and 52 degrees F.

75 million please post a link. 50 is optimal for what and where,
optimal is not paying or heating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"John61" wrote:

We will be out of country for almost whole winter. I know we got to leave
the furnace ON while we're away.

But what is the best temperature we should set on the control? We're in
mid-west Canada. In winter, temperature could be below -30C (-22F). We
have
a gas furnace in basement where the water main comes in., all utilities
are
in the basement including water heater and softener.

Thanks,

John

A $75,000,000 U.S. government study on this topic, conducted in 2003,
found that the optimal temp was between 50 and 52 degrees F.

You will also want to check with your insurance agent/broker. Many home
insurance policies (most/all I have seen) contain a requirement that the
home be checked regularly during the heating season by a competent person.
If you fail in this, any loss will not likely be covered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 9:45�pm, "Doug Brown" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article ,
"John61" wrote:

[...]

If you fail in this, any loss will not likely be covered.- Hide quoted text -

insurance for vacant home will triple in cost, vacant homes get
vandalized a lot, arson is common.

let home freeze you must be insane, plaster walls crack and spall,
plaster falls off, homes arent supposed to freeze, the cosmetic issues
will kill your bank account when you return home.

leave home at 50 degrees, with monitored security system.watching for
break ins, furnacve failure etc etc. winterize anyway drain and blow
down all water lines, antifreeze in sewer traps, must get all traped
water out of appliances like dishwashers, and washing machines.

but know in advance some appliances sitting will fail, and repairs
will likely cost more than replacing them.

arrange outside maintence grass cutting yard trash pick up, have a
trusted friend visit home weekly for safety check.

being gone at least a year? your far better off renting your home
moving stuff to storage..

better fiancially and home isnt vacant.

you can hire a property mananer to care for home while your away for
about 10% of the gross rent, call some local realtors..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 9:45�pm, "Doug Brown" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article ,
"John61" wrote:

[...]

if you dont inform your insurance company and a claim arrizes,
insurance can refuse to pay.

so someone torches you home does 50 grand in damages, and your
screwed.

better to find someone to live in home even for free and pay utlity
bills while your away

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Oct 21, 9:45?pm, "Doug Brown" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article ,
"John61" wrote:

[...]

This post and your subsequent one are in part the reason I suggested the OP
should speak to their own insurance broker. Cost of insurance and available
coverage will depend upon many specifics including, but not limited to, how
long the OP will be away from home. Just 'cause you are away from home does
not mean the home is "vacnt" according to the terms of the policy. The home
may in fact be deemed to be "unoccupied", "vacant" or some other class of
occupancy.

Also, just 'cause premium might increase is no reason not to insure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 8:25�pm, "Doug Brown" wrote:
wrote in message

On Oct 21, 9:45?pm, "Doug Brown" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article ,
"John61" wrote:

[...]

Also, just 'cause premium might increase is no reason not to insure.- Hide quoted text -

what i meant to say if you have sidewalks they will need ice and snow
clearance while your gone. often there are local,laws, and a fall
could result in a large lawsuit.....

also it gives the home a lived in look
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Doug Brown wrote:

snip

you can hire a property mananer to care for home while your away for
about 10% of the gross rent, call some local realtors..

snip

We did that, and came back to a trashed house occupied by people who
never made a rent payment after the deposit and had to be evicted by
use of the sheriff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.. Just 'cause you are away from home does
not mean the home is "vacnt" according to the terms of the policy. The
home may in fact be deemed to be "unoccupied....

exactly what my insurance agent said...NO EXTRA insurance required

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 7:25*pm, "Doug Brown" wrote:
wrote in message

On Oct 21, 9:45?pm, "Doug Brown" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article ,
"John61" wrote:

[...]

Plaster wont crack, freeze and spall, you obviously havnt done it
yourself, water leaks ruin plaster, go take a vacation in Europe where
unheated buildings in winter that are 1-400 years old are common. I
do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

On Oct 21, 9:45?pm, "Doug Brown" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article ,
"John61" wrote:

[...]

do it.- Hide quoted text -

old pittsburgh airport was abandoned for a couple years with heat
off , when i walked thru as part of a idea to turn it into a museum.
the walls and cielings lookerd bad, the roof was brand new, only 3
years old. the county said it was from the lack of heat and
temperature changes the building a art deco was torn down when
funding couldnt be found...... very sad todays its a lame
industrial park

plaster cracks and spalls falls off walls, wood furniture finish
damage from excess expansion and contraction.

The OP MUST talk with his insurance agent and notify them no one will
be living there and for how long...

It will likely see ba large premium increase

But if they arent notified and disaster strikes insurance may disown
them. No doubt notification of no one living there is in the policy,
along wiuth mall the other legalese.....